jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Shoes or socks in the house?

1. I Am Rosa profile image90
    I Am Rosaposted 5 years ago

Shoes or socks in the house?

Some cultures feel it is rude to leave your shoes on in the house.  Others feel it is silly to take them off.  I grew up where shoes came off at the door, no matter whose home you were at.  My father is from Southern Italy and "house shoes" (shoes worn only indoors) are acceptable.

What is your cultural background and what was/is the shoe rule in your home?

2. mackyi profile image66
    mackyiposted 5 years ago

Shoes should be left on a mat, as soon as you get in the house. I don't believe all the germs you carry on the bottom of your shoes should be carried around the house, especially if you have carpets.

3. lucybell21 profile image82
    lucybell21posted 5 years ago

I think a person should offer to take their shoes off , and go by what the person you are visiting is comfortable with. Also the weather can be a factor as well. Most people I know would just rather have you wipe your feet on the outside mat.

4. Akuma23 profile image69
    Akuma23posted 5 years ago

Socks and prefferably slippers. No shoes whatsoever!

5. joanake profile image69
    joanakeposted 5 years ago

well i'm asian and by tradition we don't wear shoes in the house! only if there are guests they'd take off their shoes and trot around in their socks but if its your own place you'd either go barefoot or wear some slippers around. however the problem with slippers is that they'd catch on to dust and dirt and if you have to walk around a recently vacuum-ed or mopped house it can get kind of frustrating..

working