jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

What SPF tanning lotion should a fair-skinned person use to get a tan?

1. Bedbugabscond profile image98
    Bedbugabscondposted 5 years ago

What SPF tanning lotion should a fair-skinned person use to get a tan?

I want to know about tanning lotion. I have NEVER had a tan, and I know the side effects of tanning. I would like to try a tan at least once, so please don't tell me not to bother. I would love to know what would be the best tanning lotion for my fair skin.

2. nochance profile image92
    nochanceposted 5 years ago

There are various types of sprays you can use that are not harmful to the skin. Some are home applied and others you go to a booth for. You have to do your research though or you will turn orange.

There are also some lotions you can use that will give you a gradual tan over time. These are also non-harmful.

Tanning lotion is not a great way to go, it's an easy way to give yourself skin cancer, or just burn your skin which is never fun.

Also, personally, I don't know why people find tans so attractive. I'm am pretty fair-skinned and I am very proud of it. I lather up with sunscreen when I go outside just to avoid a tan. I find fair skin to be very beautiful.

Bedbugabscondposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks to ThePracticalMommy, I just had the realization that I might just be one of those people who does not tan. I will look in to fake sprays, thanks.

3. ThePracticalMommy profile image95
    ThePracticalMommyposted 5 years ago

The lowest recommended SPF is 30. You can still get a tan using 30. It depends what you mean by 'tan'. If you are very fair skinned, it is possible that your skin does not have as much melanin (what reacts with the sun in our skin) in it as the average person. You may have tanned, meaning that your skin changed color a bit, but it may not be as noticeable.

'Tanning lotion', that which has chemicals, etc. to help your skin turn darker faster, may not have any SPF in it. You could end up with a terrible burn from using it, especially in the sun. 

If you are trying to achieve a 'brown' tan, then your best bet would be tanning spray or lotion that bronzes your skin rather than relying on the sun or light source to brown the skin. Don't overdo it as you may turn out with the orange tan so many people end up with...

Bedbugabscondposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Hrm, maybe I don't have a lot of melanin. I thought I was doing something wrong, but maybe I just don't tan. Hrm, on to research fake tan sprays. I don't want to turn orange! Thanks.

working