jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What Sunscreen SPF do you Use and Why?

1. internpete profile image91
    internpeteposted 5 years ago

What Sunscreen SPF do you Use and Why?

As people get out in the sun more this summer, I am wondering what Sunscreen SPF you usually use, and why you prefer that. Or do you just grab whatever sunscreen is around? (or no sunscreen at all)

2. LilaDaley profile image61
    LilaDaleyposted 5 years ago

I use SPF 30.  I used to use SPF 60, 65 or 70 but I have now come to learn that they are all the same as 30.  I have rather fair skin.  I get sunburned in the shade, wearing SPF 60 on a cloudy day.  I reapply my SS every 2 hours or when I see that I am getting pink.

I use the Coppertone Sport in the blue bottle - either spray or lotion.

3. NickSimpson profile image60
    NickSimpsonposted 5 years ago

You need something SPF (sun protection factor) of at least 15, but most people choose higher. What you really need to be looking for a is a bottle that is labeled "broad spectrum" this means that you are getting protected from both UVA and UVB rays. Now that the government has stepped in, you will be seeing a lot more with this label coming soon.

The UVA rays are what generally are credited with burning the skin, but the UVB rays are also cancer causing, so the new sunscreens will most likely all start protecting from both very soon.

4. Daisyheart profile image61
    Daisyheartposted 5 years ago

Before opting for sunscreen, I usually just try to go out after 4pm and avoid sunscreen all together.  However, to answer your question, all the articles and research I've done on SPFs say the same thing:  After SPF 30, it's all the same protection.  You can buy into all the advertisements they have and buy the highest SPF available, but after SPF 30, it's all the same!

Enjoy your summer! smile

5. Djaak profile image36
    Djaakposted 5 years ago

I use 30 SPF. I come from South Africa and down at our beaches you cannot even try to go out there without constantly putting sunscreen on.

6. iggy-kun profile image61
    iggy-kunposted 5 years ago

SPF 30, because it's just what my mom buys, and I like it. The sunscreen lets me get tan and keeps me from getting burned. I just put it on once before I go swimming, but if I'm going to be out for a while, I might probably put it on again later to be safe.

working