jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How much are you willing to pay for a gown or suit?

1. BSloan profile image75
    BSloanposted 5 years ago

How much are you willing to pay for a gown or suit?

What is the most you would be willing to pay for a fancy gown or tailored suit?  Where would you wear it to?

2. profile image0
    Leela Rainelleposted 5 years ago

I guess it depends on where I'm going. I'm very frugal, though and can find low-cost versions of anything. I'm going to a networking event tomorrow in a $13 dress (that looks like a $50 one I saw in a window one day). It's not a gown, though. I would say, for a gown, maybe $50-75.

A SUIT, however, especially a tailored one - I think that would at least cost a few hundred. I'm not sure you can really get away with a cheaper version of that.

3. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 5 years ago

I think it's nice to own one perfect suit. You will wear it to weddings, funerals, and job interviews if nowhere else. But one can get away without a suit. In our Texas cities, no one wears a suit every day to work except lawyers or politicians. The blue blazer is the true staple to a man's wardrobe. In a more practical sense, I didn't scrimp and bought a very expensive blue blazer, which can be correctly worn with a tie and gray worsted wool dress pants in place of a suit. It can also be worn casually with a t-shirt and jeans. The matching coat and pants of a suit looks a little stuffy; while with the blazer, you can add a different-colored waistcoat and different-colored pants that will look much better and less formal (while still being dressy).

A tailored suit correctly made of worsted wool and lined in silk should typically cost anywhere between $500 and $1,200.

4. Rosana Modugno profile image83
    Rosana Modugnoposted 5 years ago

It depends on where I'm going but I have spent over $600 for a full length gown.  I would wear it to a fundraiser or dinner for networking.  If I'm trying to make a good first impression on something I'm trying to sell, like my work or meet people that can propel me forward, I have deep pockets because I consider that an investment in my career.

working