jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)

Does getting old scare you? why or why not?

1. GreenPrince profile image76
    GreenPrinceposted 4 years ago

Does getting old scare you? why or why not?

Why do people resent old age to the extent that they want or wish to remain young by all possible means?

2. thumbi7 profile image64
    thumbi7posted 4 years ago

Old age changes the body. Our body is dearest and most valued. It is difficult to accept the old age changes like winkles, grey hair etc.

3. janshares profile image97
    jansharesposted 4 years ago

Not at all. I look forward to gaining more and more wisdom with every grey hair which I refuse to color. I have felt better with each birthday milestone. Of course, I'm aware of physical changes that tell me I can't do all that I used to at a high level but that comes with age. Declines in memory and recall can be frustrating, too but it's to be expected. But remaining young and vibrant in spirit can be done actively by anyone.
    I think fear of old age is connected to fear of being all alone and ultimately, fear of death. If you live a good life with fulfilled purpose, moving to the other side should not be scary. Staying active and connected to others keeps you alive for your allotted time on Earth.

4. Mahfoudh Muhammed profile image59
    Mahfoudh Muhammedposted 4 years ago

I prefer dying before getting that old. 65 years old is a great time for death. Life is not worth it after that age.

1. fpherj48 profile image75
      fpherj48posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Oh my...mahfoudh, you must be VERY young.  In 2 months I will be 66 and I have more fun & adventure than I did 25 yrs ago!  "Life" is worth the value we choose!  I believe you're attitude will change as you age!  I hope so!

5. fpherj48 profile image75
    fpherj48posted 4 years ago

Scare me?  Of course not.  I love a challenge.   I have phobias, but aging is not one of them.  Unreasonable fear of anything can only burden us and hold us back from living every day to it's fullest potential.
    At the present time, "getting old" has not been conquered.  Even with all the assistance available for humans to "appear" youthful, it's merely an optical illusion.  If you listen closely.....the inner clock continues to click.
    Enough!   Get moving......we're wasting time!    Peace, Paula

1. Mahfoudh Muhammed profile image59
      Mahfoudh Muhammedposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Your words are convincing, indeed.

6. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 4 years ago

I'm there and while I wish I was one of those "up" people that say I love being my age--I do not. Aging is very hard because the first thing that changes is younger people's assessment of you. They assume certain things about you.

What young people fail to understand is that while we have aged and our bodies look and operate differently than they once did--we still feel 25 in our heads and are often shocked when we see who we are in the mirror.

Aging is not for the faint of heart. No it doesn't scare me but I detest it.

1. fpherj48 profile image75
      fpherj48posted 4 years agoin reply to this

duffsmom..We were those "young people," once and probably made assumptions too.  Assuming, doesn't make it so!  One day they'll be as smart as us. They need time to mature and gain wisdom. To hell with the mirror...look into your heart.