jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How do I remove temporary brown dye so I can go platinum?

1. profile image55
    Jenshairposted 19 months ago

How do I remove temporary brown dye so I can go platinum?

Hello,
    I recently went to a salon to dye my naturally dark brown hair platinum blonde. Though my hair is brown naturally, I have lots of grey so I've been using Sebastian temporary hair dye to cover this. That said it had been over a month since I last did this so I thought it was all gone (my grey was showing again). Turns out the temporary dye wasn't so temporary and when they attempted to bleach my hair, the ends wouldn't get lighter than orange. The salon tried to tone my hair 3 times to a shade of brown (getting darker with each toner) but I'm still orangish. I want platinum! Help! Thx!!

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13178558_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    LoliHeyposted 19 months ago

Don't do it.  It's not going to go with your complexion.  And your hair looks very pretty the way it is in the photo.  If anything, you should go darker.

3. Aime F profile image84
    Aime Fposted 19 months ago

You're probably best to let all of the dye grow out.  It will take time but as someone who has gone from dark to light more than a few times I can tell you that trying to go really light with any sort of darker dye in your hair often turns out to be much less than you're expecting.  It's always going to be easier to work with natural hair and make the transition slowly.

4. lisavollrath profile image95
    lisavollrathposted 19 months ago

Honestly, getting naturally dark hair to go platinum is so difficult, and so very damaging, I wouldn't attempt it.

My natural color is sort of medium ashy brown, and it takes me two rounds of stripper to get the color out---and it still looks slightly orange when I'm done. All that bleaching is hard on your hair, and ruins the texture in a way that no amount of deep conditioning can repair. Plus, even if you're eventually successful, you'll have dark roots within days of getting your color done.

working