10 Apps To Help Your Highschooler Succeed
Apps Help Students Learn
There are lots of apps available for learning and many designed specifically to help high school students succeed. Whether your highschooler has an iPhone / iPod touch / iPad or an Android based phone or tablet there are apps available for them to not only get through high school but to be very successful and prepared for going to college. Be a parent that embraces the technologies that kids these days like to use and encourage the use of the following apps to get better grades, study more efficiently, and be ready for a challenging world that lies beyond the years of high school.
Apple iPad an Educational Tool
Favorite iPhone / iPad App
What app is the best for highschoolers on iOS?
Buy a Tablet for your Highschooler
The iPad is an excellent device for students.
iOS Apps for Students
- Khan Academy - The Khan Academy app is an excellent version of the powerful learning resource of the Khan Academy website learning portal. Access over 3,200 videos and lessons directly through the iPad app and work on topics that range in grade levels of k-12 and cover an extremely broad range of scholastic subjects.
- Apps by AccelaStudy - AccelaStudy has developed apps designed for assiting students learning foreign languages. There is activities, resources, and support currently for 17 different languages and contains an extensive vocabulary, searchable word database, study sets, capability to add new words from class lessons, study planning, and a study mode with flashcards and quiz's including audio versions.
- Graphing Calculator - Appcylon has developed a graphing calculator that easily replaces the traditional calculator that most students have to purchase for their high school math classes. This one in particular has been awarded by Time Magazine and is included in there list of best applications for students.
- Math Formulas - Reference Guide - Keeping track of all the important math formulas that are used in just a single year of high school can be a challenge and with this app it is easy to recall over 100 of the formulas used at this level of math. This app covers algebra, geometry, trigonometry, probability, statistics, and calculus, making it the perfect app to purchase as a freshman and be able to use all the way through senior year. The app comes in 5 different languages and is supported on both the iPhone and iPad.
- SAT Score Quest - Study for the SAT and practice qith questions for both math and vocab using this app. There are many applications available that focus on one part of the test or ask a question a day, but this is a robust application focused on improving student scores on all areas of the test to ensure they succeed with this important benchmark in their education careers.
- World Atlas - The World Atlas HD designed specifically for the iPad puts the most current maps of the world in your hands. These maps are focused on teaching and learning about the different wonderful locations around the world, not simple utilities for getting directions. There is sections for learning about country flags, facts about geographic and socio-economic data and up to date with current events as they unfold and change the world we live in.
- iHomework - This application is focused on helping a student to best manage their daily study regiment and school schedule so that they can be on top of all their duties. High school tends to be the first time that many students are responsible for managing there own to do's, class requirements, etc. This app is a glorified calendar / daily planner for a student. Keep track of assignments and team projects, books and scheduled readings, teacher contact information, and much more. Rather than keeping notes on a paper notepad that can get lost, iHomework allows a student to sync all of there important school related material with there home computer in order to not loose precious information and time if something is misplaced, lost or stolen.
- iBooks - Many books are available for purchase through iBooks that will be used in the classroom. This is excellent for saving a few dollars on the cost of a new book as well as being able to keep a digital copy forever. The iBooks platform allows students to easily copy sections and save as notes, look up additional information, click on relevant web links and overall provide a new reading experience that is more interactive and more conducive to learning and exploring the course material.
- Dictonary.com - Dictionary & Thesaurus - This app is pretty straight forward. Making the typical experience of dictionary.com a mobile app that allows for easy word searches.
- Dropbox - Dropbox is an excellent tool for managing school work that is completed on a computer such as written papers and other documents that are generated for school use. A high school student that uses Dropbox for file management can have access to the same folder of files that are sitting on a home desktop or laptop computer. If a paper is forgotten at home simply open it up through the app and email to the teacher while in the classroom to avoid not being done on time.
Android Perfect for Learning
Favorite Android App
What app is the best for highschoolers on Android
Students Building Mobile Companies
Android Apps for Students
- Studious - This is a simple student planner that allows high school student to add their class schedules and important information about the classes such as homework assignments and basic notes that are important for a specific class.
- Wikipedia - The Wikimedia Foundation is a handy version of the free encyclopedia that so many students are comfortable utilizing to quickly learn about new topics and get a good start on learning about a wide range of topics. The app allows for saving articles to be read in offline and easy to share articles with study group friends through share features of the app.
- Google Drive - I highly recommend using Google Drive if you have an Android based tablet for accessing documents, photos, videos, and other photos. Google docs is a free "word" utility and perfect for writing school assignments with and then they are easily accessible and backed up through Google Drive.
- Math Quiz High School - This application is great for working through math problems and testing skills with numbers. All the traditional high school level math courses are covered and basic formulas are reviewed and quized.
- Advanced English & Thesaurus - Have access to over 1.4 million words with this Android app. Based on the WordNet lexical database that is focused on teaching about words and helping students better understand and find the correct meaning for the word they are searching and built with tools to help memorize words.
- busuu Learn Spanish - busuu.com has developed a wide variety of Android apps dedicated to teaching foreign languages to students. This is specifically for the Spanish version however there are French, Italian, German, Portuguese, Japanese, Russian, Turkish, Polish, and Chinese versions. Each app contains a large vocabulary and contains lessons, strategies, and day to day situations for everyone from beginner to intermediate / advanced levels.
- Periodic Table - The Periodic Tables app by Socratica is an interactive tool for high school science class students that are looking for a tool to help them study this information. There is a fact sheet with over 30 facts on each element in the table, and includes audio clips and test quiz's to make sure students succeed in understanding the periodic table.
- Grammar Guide - This English focused app helps students that are having difficulty with English Grammar. The app is an easy to use guide with information on all of the general English rules and glossary full of information regarding punctuation, capitalization, misused words, and much more.
- RealCalc Scientific Calculator - Rated as the best scientific calculator on Android by several sources the Real Calc Scientific Calculator is perfect for any high school math student that needs a great calculator on a budget.
- Flipboard - In order to be successful in a social studies / current events class taught in most high schools it is important to read stories form the newspaper and popular magazines. All of this information can be accessed and read through this application Flipboard aggregates published content and displays it intuitively by topic, so it is very easy to stay up to date with current news information.