- Audio & Video
A Tribute to the Remote Control
Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder
Sometimes we don't take the time in our daily lives to appreciate the things we love. We go through our days just assuming the items we most depend on will always be there for us. I guess we don't know what we really have until it is gone. I would like to share a story with you and I think you will understand.
I recently went on vacation. While on vacation, I naturally wanted to watch some television during the down times and evenings. I discovered something terrible the first night in the motel room - the remote control did not work! I realize a normal person would have complained to the owners about this, but I decided to "tough it out" for 4 nights. Surely I could survive without a working remote for such a short period of time.
My friends, it was a challenging time. The TV also only had basic cable. Gasp! I did not realize that existed anymore. It was like living in the 1980s all over again. I actually had to get up and walk across the room to change the channels. I was subjected to network television programming and commercials! This was a tough time, but somehow I managed to pull through the situation. I feel like it made me a stronger, better person.
Now that I am experiencing a new appreciation for the remote control, I want to create a tribute to it. I would also like to dedicate this hub to anyone out there who works at the factories creating these wonder little pieces of technology. You are loved! Thank you remote control inventors, innovators, and workers. You are the people that rule this wonderful world full of remote controls.
Reasons the Remote Control is Awesome:
- You never have to get off the couch to change the channels, adjust the volume, or turn the TV on or off.
- The "MUTE" button.
- You never have to watch another commercial ever again.
- You can set up one universal remote to control all your home theater devices.
- Remote controls now come with fans, air conditioners, heaters, etc.
- You can be lazy and dump all your remote controls on to the couch. You can adjust your heat, the volume on the stereo, and mute your TV all while never actually getting up.
- You can buzz through channels swiftly.
- You can fast forward through the annoying parts in DVDs.
- You can pause or rewind and watch the best parts of DVDs over and over again.
- Switching to the closed caption function on the remote means you can read something you cannot hear or understand on the TV.
- You can learn Spanish by switching the languages with your remote while watching your favorite programs.
- You never have to bribe your child to go across the room to switch the channels again.
- Getting some exercise by actually walking to the other side of the room is a thing of the past.
- When someone tries to have a conversation with you, you can just turn up the volume on the remote to give them a subtle hint that now is not an appropriate time for talking.
Other Names for the Remote Control
- The Remote
- The Clicker
- The Converter
- The Flipper
- The Controller
- The Tuner
- The Changer
Buy a Remote Control!
Items that Use Remote Controls:
- CD players
- Cable box
- DVD player
- Blu-ray players
- Toy cars
- Air conditioners
- Ceiling fans
Items that Would be Awesome with a Remote Control:
- Well, just about anything.