- Computers & Software
Installing Joomla in cPanel
Joomla Content Management System
Joomla is a CMS used to create web pages and powerful internet applications. Joomla is recognized for its extensibility and user friendly design. It is the most well-known software for web sites that is freely accessible to everyone.
The Joomal Content Management System is a software that stores all the content on your internet site. Photographs, video, music, documents, and text are some of the items which fall under the definition of content. The main advantage of a content management system is that almost anyone can use it. Technocal skills are not required because the content management system manages all of your content for you.
Joomla is used to manage corporate websites and portals, corporate extranets and intranets, online publications, newspapers and magazines, internet reservations and e-commerce, government applications, small business pages, organizational and non-profit websites, community portals, church and school websites, and personal homepages. Some companies that use Joomla to manage their home pages include MTV Networks Quizilla, IHOP, Harvard University, Citibank, The Green Maven, Outdoor Photographer, PlayShakespeare.com, and Senso Interiors.
The basic framework of Joomla allows developers to build additional features for organizations and companies who have more sophisticated requirements. Tools for data reporting, systems for inventory control, application bridges, product catalogues, e-commerce systems, complicated business directories, reservation systems, and communication tools can be created easily and quickly. Because Joomla relies on PHP and MySQL, the applications build on this platform can be used, shared, and supported by anyone.
It is estimated that more than one million websites now use Joomla to manage their content. If you wish to download Joomla, simply visit the Joomla home page and begin the simple installation process. The Joomla website also offers customer support and additional information about Joomla extensions and other features.
Joomla 1.0 or Joomla 1.5?
There are two stable versions of Joomla. Both has their advantages and disadvantages. Both versions are ready to be installed through cPanel.
Joomla 1.0 is the first stable Joomla version. Thousand of sites still use this version.
- Light weight, stable and relative secure
- There are many free great templates available
- There are many free 3rd party plugins available
- Not officially supported anymore
- Less coding friendly
If you already install this version and don't want to migrate to new version, you can stick with this version.
Joomla 1.5 is the latest stable Joomla version and still gaining popularity. It's second generation with object oriented and MVC approach. Fully support by Joomla developer.
- Fully support, stable, and secure
- Better programming approach, better usability, scalability and flexibility
- Many templates available
- Many 3rd party plugins available, and support legacy plugins also
- Take up more space and resources than the predecessor
- Predecessor templates and plugins may not working
- Upgrading from Joomla 1.0 to Joomla 1.5 may be painful
This is the latest and fully support version. If you are setup new site it's better to use this version.
Joomla on Amazon
Step by Step Installation
Now we know the different between Joomla versions. They have their own superiority. But Joomla 1.5 is current stable release, so It's better to install this version.
Before you start installing, your hosting should support below requirements :
- cPanel. cPanel is popular hosting management, with user friendly graphical interface, and automation tools. Almost all web hosting supports this control panel.
- Fantastico. Fantastico is script auto installer addon. It contains script library and automates the installation. Almost cPanel hosting supports this Fantastico addon.
Ask your web hosting company whether they have this features or not.
Step 1: Login to your cPanel control panel
First, you need to login to your cPanel account. Usually cPanel can be accessed from below URL, but it's depend on your web hosting configurations:
Step 2: Open Fantastico Installer
After you log on in cPanel, then click 'Fantastico De Luxe' button. Usually this button placed under Software / Services box.
Then Fantastico installer interface will appear.
Step 3: Open Joomla 1.5 Installer
After Fanstico interface appears, there will two Joomla links under 'Content Management' category. 'Joomla 1.5' link is used to install version 1.5. 'Joomla' link is used to install legacy Joomla 1.0 version. We have discussed this two versions in above paragraphs.
Because we want to install version 1.5, then choose 'Joomla 1.5' link from the left menu.Then the Joomla 1.5 installer will appear.
Step 4: Installing Joomla
After Joomla installer appears, click 'New Installation' link. Joomla needs about 27 MB space. Check whether disk space is still available for this installation.
Then the next installer step page will appear.
Step 5: Install Joomla 1.5 (1/3)
It is the step 1 of 3 steps in Joomla Fantastico installer. In here you need to fill some configurations.
- Install on domain. Choose domain name that Joomla will be installed. If your domain doesn't exist, you should add the domain from cPanel domain management.
- Install in directory. This is the directory where Joomla will be copied. Leave blank if you want to be accessed from root directory (e.g: accessed from http://www.yourdomain.com). Type directory name if you want Joomla to be accessed from domain name (e.g: accessed from http://www.yourdomain.com/joomla_directory_name/)
- Admin username. Fill the admin username with your easily to remember username. Don't use common username like admin, administrator, or root.
- Admin password. Fill with your easily to remember password but hard to be guessed. Don't use birthday date, name, or common word.
- Admin e-mail. Fill with your e-mail. Joomla related e-mail will be sent to this e-mail.
- Admin full name. Fill with your full name.
- Site name. Fill with title of your site.
- Install sample data. Tick if you want to install some dummy/example data.
Click install button to go to next step.
Step 6: Install Joomla 1.5 (2/3)
After you click install button, confirmation page will appear. In this step, basic information of this installation will be shown.
If the information is right, you can go to next step by click 'Finish Installation' button.
Step 7: Install Joomla 1.5 (3/3)
This is the final step. In this step, Fantastico will install Joomla automatically based on configurations that you have entered before.
If this step success, the report will appear. In this report you will see:
- where your Joomla installed
- your admin username and password
- admin URL
You can save this page for future use. You can send the detail information to your e-mail also.
Video: Installing Joomla 1.5 in Fantastico De Luxe
- Joomla! Official Site
Joomla! - the dynamic portal engine and content management system
- Joomla! Extensions Directory
Find extensions for your Joomla site in the Joomla Extensions Directory, the official directory for Joomla components, modules and plugins.
- Joomla! Resources Directory
The Joomla! Resources Directory" Provides a community-submitted listing of professional resources and services available to assist in learning, designing, managing and devloping Joomla! websites.
- Online Networking Tools
IP Distance dot com provides many online networking for you. You can choose our service for free.
My Technology Related HubPages
- Choosing the Best Graphic Calculator
Who would have ever thought that a calculator would be the most expensive school supply on the list? With the high prices of backpacks, new school clothes, yearbooks and enrollment fees, its easy to begin...
- How Google Translate Works
We here present how Google translate works. If you want to find out how automatic translation works on Google translator, then you will need to read this article. Google translator is one of many newly...
- Church management software
Although most function as Non-Profits it is still imperative to have a good management software to help with the financial well being and future of any Church. With the economy trying to recover from the...