Samsung S8530 Wave II
Introduced in November 2010, the Samsung S8530 Wave II is a second generation phone and compared to its predecessor the Samsung Wave s8500 this phone is a much better one and aims to the higher end of the market. The Samsung Wave phones are an innovation itself and with this new generation of Samsung Wave phone the company has introduced some more new technologies in the market. With these Wave phones Samsung introduced its Bada OS and had a great response and they certainly want to continue that trend.
Here are some specifications of the phone:
1. It supports both 2G and 3G networks.
2. Weighs a little heavy at 135g, but I guess that’s acceptable.
3. The display is simply stunning with 16M colors and a Super Clear LCD capacitive touchscreen.
4. The screen size is about 3.7 inches.
5. Has handwriting recognition
6. Supports multi-touch.
7. Has TouchWiz UI 3.0
8. It has a 3.5mm jack, something that’s very much necessary in all smart phones these days.
9. It has an internal memory of 2 GB; this I think should have been more.
10. Supports up to 32 GB (expandable).
11. When it comes to connectivity: it has a class 10 GPRS, class 10 EDGE, 3G, WLAN, USB port, Bluetooth with A2DP but no Infrared port.
12. The Samsung Wave has a 5 MP camera with autofocus and LED flash. I think now a days a 5 MP camera is not enough it should have been at least 8 MP. Anyways it houses some other features like Geo-tagging, smile and blink detection, image stabilization and touch focus.
13. This phone also has a built-in GPS so you will never get lost anywhere. It’s fairly good and does live up-to the standards (others might have different opinions).
14. As this is a smart phone which has so many functions, it requires a huge processing power. Samsung has thus used a 1 GHz ARM Cortex-A8 processor with a Hummingbird chipset. This processor handles all the processing power required and makes this phone very fast and responsive.
15. This smart phone has an average battery standby time of 600h in 2G and 500h in 3G, it has an average talk time of up to 13h in 2G and 6h in 3G.
Now, many of you have also heard of the Nokia X6 which also a very good phone. Some people sometimes fall in a dilemma of deciding which mobile to go with. For them the answer is very simple the Samsung S8530 Wave II is the obvious choice. This mobile phone is by far a better choice than many other Nokia phones within this price range.
I had the opportunity to review this phone and I did notice some missing features, or simply put, some disadvantages.
1. The display is very good but the Super Clear LCD comes nowhere close to the SuperAMOLED.
2. A very disturbing fact is that the memory card slot is under the battery, which means I have to turn my phone off every time I need to take the memory card out. Now that is very annoying and it’s something the Samsung Designers should clearly have a look at.
3. The sound quality from the loudspeaker is very poor.
4. Remember I mentioned that this phone has a GPS, well the SatNav software has only a 30 day trial which is very disappointing.
5. The number of applications in the phone is very limited. It should contain more inbuilt applications.
Well it’s time for a conclusion. If you are thinking to buy a Samsung Wave II phone I suggest you no to go with it, instead other phones like the Sony Ericson XPERIA X10, the Motorola MILESTONE XT720 or the HTC Desire are a much better option. When compared to the Windows Phone 7 the Samsung Wave II is well out of its league. For now it’s just a fight between the two OS, Samsung’s BADA and Microsoft’s Windows Phone 7.