Top 10 Movie Apps For Movie Lovers
The advent of smartphones has given us access to almost everything that was available in the internet ‘literally’ at our fingertips! If you are a movie addict and haven’t yet scourged the smartphone app market to find out what lies in store for you, then you are certainly missing out on something!
There are apps for just about everything to personalize your entire moviegoing experience, from finding out what movies are playing near you and their showtimes to creating and managing your personal movie library, renting movies online and even finding out when it can be safe to run for a restroom break!
With the huge collection of movie apps at our disposal in the iTunes store and the Android Market, it can be pretty tough to decide which ones can provide the best moviegoing experience. I am a pretty big movie buff myself so here is my top 10 list for all you movie lovers out there!
1. Netflix - Free (for iPhone, Android and Windows Phone 7)
By far, most of you would agree with me that Netflix is THE most popular instant TV show and movie streaming website. Now you can enjoy the same experience by simply downloading the app on your smartphone.
You do not need to pay anything extra if you are already a Netflix member.
- Free to download and use with you Netflix membership.
- Watch movies and TV shows as often as you want.
- Resume watching from where you left off.
- Browse movies and manage your Netflix queue from your smartphone.
- Subtitles are available for watching foreign language films and when the audio cannot be loud enough for listening.
2. Redbox - Free (for iPhone and Android)
The super cool (and cheap!) DVD rental service has launched its official redbox app which lets you browse and reserve movies from your mobile device.
- Find a redbox kiosk near your location and get directions to it with a map.
- Browse and reserve movies while you are on the move.
- Reserve games wherever available.
3. IMDb - Free (for iPhone, Android and Windows Phone 7)
The IMDb app now makes it even easier to search through the world’s largest collection of movies, TV shows and celebrity information right when you want it!
- Search its database of over 1.5 million movie and TV titles and over 3.2 million celebrities (actors, actresses, directors and other crew members).
- View movie showtimes at your local theaters (worldwide), TV listings for your local time zone, recaps of TV shows from the previous night (US only) and upcoming movies.
- Rate movies and TV shows and browse through the popular charts (top rated movies of all times, most popular movies by genre, celebrity birthdays etc.).
- Watch movie trailers and view user and critics reviews for movies and TV shows, celebrity and movie news and your search history on IMDb.
- Shop for DVDs and Blu-ray discs from Amazon.com stores.
- Create and track a personal watchlist for movies and TV shows of your choice.
IMDb App for Android
4. Movies by Netwalk - $3.99 (for iPhone), $2.87 (for Android)
Movies by Netwalk is an app for managing your movie library. It is just a simple app which lets you store and organize your personal movie collection online.
- Allows you to add, find and view movie information in your library.
- Add movies manually, via online searches or barcode scanning.
- Keep track of whom you lent out your movies to.
- Rate and share your favorite movies via Facebook and Twitter.
- Ability to import existing movie databases from a variety of sources such as DVD Profiler, Delicious Library, Extreme Movie Manager etc.
5. Movies by Flixster - Free (for iPhone, Android, Windows and Blackberry)
Movies by Flixster is the mobile app version of Flixster - the world’s largest online movie community. You can watch movie trailers, get showtimes, rate movies and share them with your friends, read movie reviews on Rotten Tomatoes and manage your Netflix queue, all from within the app.
- Watch high quality movie trailers.
- Get local showtimes and buy tickets online.
- Rate movies and share them with your friends on Facebook.
- Read movie reviews on Rotten Tomatoes and Flixster.
- Manage your Netflix queue (available for iPhone).
- Get info on movie theaters, DVDs, upcoming movies and box office hits.
Flixster App for Windows Phone 7
6. Turner Classic Movies - $2.99 (for iPhone, Android and Blackberry)
This one is a must for classic movie fans! The Turner Classic Movies app lets you stay connected to the great collection of classic movies playing on TCM by exploring their videos, photos, widescreen movie clips, trailers and promos.
- Stay connected with over 300 classic movies playing every month.
- Watch widescreen trailers, rare movie clips and TCM promos and view photo galleries.
- Access to the complete schedule of movies playing on TCM.
- Read detailed articles on the history and making of the films and information on the crew and the cast.
7. GetGlue - Free (for iPhone, Android and Blackberry)
GetGlue is a social network for movies, TV shows, music and books. So, if you swear by Facebook and Twitter, this app is a must have! GetGlue lets you check-in to movies and TV shows so that you and your friends can have a ‘social’ movie sharing experience.
- Check-in to movies, TV shows, music and books.
- See what your friends like to read, watch and listen.
- Rate movies, TV shows and books to get recommendations based on your likes and earn stickers.
GetGlue App for iPhone
8. iPhlix - Netflix Queue Manager - $2.99 (for iPhone), PhoneFlicks - Free (for iPhone and Android), NetQ - $0.99 (for Android)
iPhilix is the Netflix Queue Manager for iPhone. It lets you manage your Netflix queue, rate movies, search for movie titles, actors, directors and share movie recommendations with friends.
PhoneFlicks is another queue management system for iPhone and Android. PhoneFlicks provides the basic queue management features and NetQ goes slightly advanced by adding Rotten Tomatoes movie reviews, NY Times reviews, barcode search, YouTube search and IMDb search.
9. RunPee - Free (for iPhone, Android and Windows)
RunPee is an interesting app. It lets you know during which points of a movie you can safely take a ‘pee break’ without missing out on an important scene or plot!
- An ‘Alert’ option reminds you when its time to run to the bathroom.
- Lets you know when your pee time begins and how long it will last.
- Gives your a summary of what you have missed when you were away.
RunPee App for iPhone
10. Today in Movie History - $ 0.99 (for iPhone and Android)
If you want to impress your film buff friends with your knowledge of movie history then try this app!
This app has over 3000 film facts in store including birthdays and anniversaries of your favorite stars.
Some More Movie Apps
Here are a few more recommendations!
Moviefone - Free (for Android)
Moviefone is another app which lets you find movies and showtimes online. You can even purchase tickets through movietickets.com without leaving the app and interact with your Facebook friends by creating movie events and sharing movie details.
Fandango Movies - Free (for iPhone, Android, Windows and Blackberry)
Fandango Movies is similar to Moviefone. The only feature it lacks as of now is the integration with Facebook.
Leonard Maltin - $1.99 (for iPhone)
This is another fabulous app with rave reviews for a complete movie guide! Also integrated with Netflix, IMDb, Amazon and iTunes.
Blastr - Free (for iPhone and Android)
If you love sci-fi, fantasy and supernatural movies, download Blastr to stay up-to-date with the latest movies in this genre.
Mobo Celebrity Talk, News & Gossip - Free (for Android)
An excellent source of information, news and gossip on celebrities! You can track and follow your favorite celebrity’s news feed right from within the app.
Please feel free to add any apps that you have used in the comments section!