- Consumer Electronics & Personal Gadgets»
- Portable Electronics
Top Five Best Digital Cameras Under $100
Digital cameras are evolving faster than just about anything else in technology today. The resolutions of even the cheapest digital cameras are stunning and rival the best of traditional film. Add to this the tremendous flexibility of editing and printing photos straight from the home computer, it’s no wonder we see digital cameras as a wonderful investment for our families and not simply just another gadget to play with.
High resolution digital cameras are no longer reserved just for professionals and avid amateur photographers. With a little research anyone can get excellent deals on digital cameras for under $100. I have taken the time to compile my list of the top five digital cameras for under $100 and share many of the features and benefits each camera provides. The functionality and performance of these digital cameras will pay for themselves in no time as you save on film, film processing and even portrait sitting fees. If you have not purchased your own digital camera yet, there is no better time than now to get a first-rate camera at exceptional prices.
Top Five Digital Cameras Under $100
1. Canon Powershot A1200 12.1 MP Digital Camera with 4x Optical Zoom
Like other digital cameras in the Powershot lineup, the Canon A1200 is a nice camera for shooting close-ups in nature. The A1200 can’t quite squeeze in on a subject like a Canon A480, it can focus in on a subject at a distance of about 1½” away in Macro mode. This camera will take pictures as good as any you’ll see in any professional nature magazines. The Canon Powershot A1200 features a resolution of 12.1 megapixels and handles low-light situations extremely well. The HD video capabilities are every bit as good as a decent dedicated video camera. Really, the only drawback with this digital camera is the fact that Canon does not bundle the cables for connecting to a TV or DVD recorder, but still, this camera rocks with features and is my pick as the best under $100.
Canon Powershot A1200 Review
- 12.1 megapixel resolution, 4x wide-angle optical zoom (28mm), and optical viewfinder
- Auto Intelligence: Selects settings from 32 pre-defined shooting situations
- 720p HD resolution video
- Uses AA battery for easy power up on the go
- Has a “Discreet Mode” which disables the sound, flash and AF beam - great for use in quiet areas
2. Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-W560 14.1 MP Digital Still Camera
The Sony Cyber-Shot series has always been a major player in the digital camera market. The Cyber-Shot DSC-W560 is an outstanding camera for under $100. With a magnificent resolution of 14.1 megapixels and a large 3” LCD screen, this digital camera is a pleasure to shoot with. If you want a camera that is capable of taking quick snapshots, then this is the one for you. It has a very quick shutter response time allowing you to capture those special fleeting moments in a flash. This camera shines in normal lighting situations, but photos can appear a little grainy in low-light. However, for the casual photographer, this camera does a beautiful job and is small and thin enough to carry anywhere.
Sony CyberShot DSC-W560 Camera Test
- Records videos in HD Movie mode (720p)
- Features a Sweep Panorama Mode
- 14.1 megapixel resolution and a large 3-inch LCD Screen
- SteadyShot image stabilization technology to reduce blur
- Automatically optimizes camera settings using iAuto mode
3. Canon Powershot A3300 IS 16 MP Digital Camera with 5x Optical Zoom
The Canon Powershot A3300 is another nice offering from Canon at just under $100. It delivers a truly amazing 16 megapixel resolution on still pictures and 720p HD video capability. This camera offers tons of shooting modes which entails a little bit of a learning curve to get used to. But, the A3300 does have an “Easy Mode” to get you started quickly. I especially liked the “Special Effects Mode” which lets you add all sorts of interesting effects to your shots. The 5x zoom is also a nice bonus for getting some great pictures at a distance. This camera can provide a lot of professional features at a bargain price, but it does take a little time to figure everything out.
Canon Powershot A3300 Review
- 16.0 effective megapixels, 1/2.3-inch CCD image sensor; 5x wide angle optical zoom and 4x digital zoom
- 3.0 in. TFT LCD display with wide angle viewing; Built-in flash; 720p HD video recording
- Optical Image Stabilizer; DIGIC 4 Image Processor; Discreet Mode; Creative Filters
- Smart AUTO (32 scenes); Face Detection; Red-eye correction
- USB 2.0 Hi-Speed; SD card slot (card not included)
- 16.0 megapixels, with a 5x wide-angle optical zoom (28mm wide) with optical image stabilizer
- Record movies with 720p HD video
- Large, clear 3.0-inch LCD
- Smart Auto intelligently selects settings from 32 predefined shooting situations
- Discreet Mode disables the sound, flash and AF beam for use in quiet areas
4. Samsung EC-PL120 14.2 MP Digital Camera with 5x Optical Zoom
The Samsung EC-PL120 earns a solid spot as one of the best digital cameras under $100 and proves that big things definitely come in small packages. This little camera has a lot of features for the price range and is small enough to fit easily into a shirt or coat pocket. This camera is also perfect for keeping in the car to catch those spur of the moment photo opportunities that you might otherwise miss. One of the nicest features about this particular digital camera is the LCD screens on both front and back, enabling perfectly framed shots every time. The PL120 also has a smart filter that can add some truly amazing effects to your shots. It even has a mode called “Beauty Shot” that can automatically take out facial blemishes.
Samsung EC-PL120 Review
- 14.2 MP resolution for high quality images
- Large 1.5 inch LCD screen viewer
- Hi-res video at 1280 X 720 MP
- Built-in image stabilization for crystal clear images and videos
- Smart-auto feature creates perfect environment every time
- 1-year parts and labor warranty
5. Kodak Easyshare Touch M5370 16 MP Digital Camera with 5x Optical Zoom
If ease of use is an important factor for you when it comes to digital cameras, then the Kodak Easyshare Touch M5370 is the perfect camera for you. The Smart Capture mode on this fantastic little camera is all you will need 99% of the time to capture perfect images and videos. It can adjust to current light levels very quickly to ensure good clear quality in different situations. The M5370 also features a Schneider-Krueznach lens with an optical zoom ration of 5:1 and is more than adequate for most close-up still shots. This Kodak Easyshare model produces outstanding vivid color, but also has the capacity to easily allow for color manipulation, and even black and white or sepia tones. The M5370 has a small internal capacity, so you would definitely want to purchase an optional Micro-SD card for better storage options. Micro-SD cards generally come in large storage capacities but they can be difficult to use by anyone with large fingers. Still, the use of Micro-SD cards is a small inconvenience compared to the quality and ease of use you can expect from this digital camera for under $100. This nice camera can also take up to 29 minutes of clear, sharp HD video at 720p using a 4 GB Micro-SD card. The Kodak Easyshare Touch M5370 is truly a remarkable value for under $100.
Kodak Easyshare M5370 Review
- Sharp vivid images at 16 MP resolution
- Smart Capture technology ensures a great shot every time
- Large 3-inch touch screen display
- Sharp HD Video at 720p
- Uses Li-Ion rechargeable batteries
- Micro-SD card slot for storage expansion