White Page or Screen in Wordpress Blog Simple Solution That Worked
Did you get a White Page on Your Wordpress Blog?
You check out your homepage and there's nothing but a blank white page and you start feeling like you're going to have a nervous breakdown. There is nothing quite like that moment when the blank screen symbolizes the possibility you've lost everything. You immediately become angry with Wordpress or your Webhost.
I'll tell you how to fix the error I had last night. Keep in mind, there may be a hundred other reasons you have encountered the white page of death. Those hundred reasons could have just as many complicated or simple solutions. I have included a few more complicated solutions at the bottom if mine proves not to be your issue.
I've had two instances where a white page took over my blog. One did not allow me to log in to my Wordpress blog at all. The other allowed me to log in and make changes but did not show anything on my homepage.
The first time I had the white page scare I decided to delete my blog because I was a new blogger and had no idea what to do after 2 days trying more complicated methods. With only 3 posts it wasn't a great loss but it really killed my pride for a day or two.
Last night I was determined to fix it at whatever cost. With 33 posts I had more to lose. No, it's not a big time blog but it is my pride and joy. The interesting thing is I believe I had the same issue both times, but I did messed up all 3 blog posts the first time so all of them were affected.
The first time I could not view any pages when I searched them in Google and I could not log into my Wordpress account. On the second round with the white page I was able to access my secondary pages. (example.com/your-post-title)
I tried all the complicated solutions first, it's in my nature to do things the hard way. Sadly, none of them worked.
How I fixed the White Page in Wordpress
- I disabled W3Cache in plugins.
- I checked my Wordpress Blog and the white page was gone, but things still weren't right. I only had a block for one post out of the normal 8.
- I got a media.php error line number ......, that prevented my entire page from loading correctly. It was in the first post block which reminded me I just published a post with a really pretty photo.
- I deleted the photo and checked file type and size but it was fine.
- I also deleted a photo from earlier in the week that gave me a broken link after 2 months of operating fine.
- I changed the size of my photos as well as the pixels even though the sizes were within limits of Wordpress.
- I put the photos back in the posts.
- When I checked my Wordpress Blog the white page of death was gone. Good Riddin's!
Possible Low Memory as a Cause for White Page Issues?
After doing this I discovered many blank page issues are caused by low memory. You may need to move your php memory to 32mb and check your error log for errors to see what is wrong. I'm not sure how to do that yet. If you are running your site through a host you may ask them to do bump the php memory for you and tell them what your issue is.
Other Possible Solutions to the White Page Problem
If my method didn't help you then try these possible solutions.
- Look for new plugins first and disable them and check your blog.
- If you haven't added any new one's lately or upgraded then disable them all and check to see if your blog is working. If it is working turn on each plugin one at a time until you find the one that gives you the dreaded white page again. If you know how to change the plugin file name in PHP this could prove faster and you can do it even if you cannot access the Wordpress Administrator Dashboard.
- You can change your theme to the default theme and see if your site works. If it does try reapplying the theme you had to see if it fixes the issue.
Have you been bitten by the nerve-racking white page in your Wordpress blog? Did you find a simple solution besides mine? It was bittersweet that fixing it was this easy since I deleted my blog the first time because i didn't know how to fix it. I hope your blog is fixed and you no longer have to deal with the ominous white page ever again.