Why a DSLR is the Best Camera for Pictures of Kids
Don't Miss Those Magic Moments
Have you ever tried to take a photo of your child blowing out the candles on the cake, only to end up with an image of the smoke rising up after the moment has passed? Or you wanted to record your son or daughter's first jump into the pool, but got a photo of the splash after they entered instead? If so, you've been the victim of shutter lag, the period of time between when you click the shutter and the camera actually takes the photos. If you want good pictures of your kids, there's no question you need a camera that won't slow you down. A fast shutter is one the main reasons the best camera for pictures of kids is a digital SLR (or DSLR). But it's not the only reason.
Take Great Photos of Your Kids With These DSLRs
3 Reasons a DSLR is the Best Camera for Pictures of Kids
Every parent knows that kids move around - a LOT! There is never a shortage of action, and kids create great photo opportunities because they're always doing something. The problem is that most compact point-and-shoot cameras can't keep up with kids. They're great for taking pictures of landscapes or people who are posing for the camera, but they're not great for capturing action. Digital SLRs, on the other hand, are perfect for capturing movement.
Not that long ago, to use an SLR effectively, you needed to have some understanding of things like apertures, shutter speed and white balance. But today's DSLRs are as simple to use as a point-and-shoot, but you'll get better quality, particularly when it comes to action shots. That makes them the perfect type of camera for pictures of children.
There are plenty of DSLRs on the market, so the exact model you choose is largely a question of preference and pricing. Right now, the Canon T3i is one of the most popular DSLRs. But all of them will give you the following features that will help you capture great photos of your children:
1. Fast Response Time - Unlike most point-and-shoot compact digital cameras, a DSLR is ready to go to work almost immediately. When you turn it on, there's virtually no waiting period, and when you click the shutter, the camera doesn't lag before taking the shot. That means you can grab your camera, turn it on, and immediately catch little Johnny or Suzy in action.
2. Multiple Frames Per Second - In addition to being ready to take photos as soon as you are, DSLRs also give you the ability to shoot multiple frames per second. You'll never again miss the candles being blown out on the birthday cake because you'll be able to shoot 3-5 frames (depending on your DSLR) in a single second. Try THAT with a point and shoot!
3. More Versatility - The other reason you'll get better photos of your kids with a digital SLR is because they are more versatile, able to shoot photos in lower light (which is great for sports games at dusk or after dark), able to capture higher quality on larger sensors and able to be outfitted with a variety of lenses that will get you up close with action on a sports field or allow you to fit a large group of kids into a wide angle shot.
For these reasons, and more there's no question that a digital SLR is the best camera for pictures of kids. The initial cost may be slightly more than a high-end compact digital camera, but the photos you'll capture of your children will make you glad you made the investment. Once you own a DSLR, you'll never go back to a point-and-shoot again.
More Articles You Might Enjoy
- 5 Tips for Using a New Underwater Camera
If you've got a new underwater camera, these tips will help you get ready to use it before your first big trip.
- How to Pick the Best Underwater Camera
Plenty of sites will tell you which waterproof camera is the bestselling one or the highest-rated one, but which is actually the best underwater camera for you? Here are some tips to consider before you go shopping.
- Choose a Reconditioned Camera and Save
What's the difference between a new digital camera and a reconditioned digital camera? The price. So why spend more. Read how a refurbished camera can save you money.
- Digital Photography Backup is Easy, Inexpensive and ...
If you save all of your digital photos on your hard drive, make sure you're protecting them with a backup plan. Digital photography backup is easy, inexpensive and could save you a lot of time and headache.
- Download Tagged Photos: Facebook App Makes it Easy
It's fun to see tagged photos of yourself on Facebook, but if you've ever wanted to download tagged photos, Facebook sure doesn't make it easy. Fortunately, there's a simple and free application that can help.
- Fisher-Price Tough Camera Line Offers Perfect First ...
Do you have an aspiring photographer or videographer in your house? Then the Fisher-Price Tough cameras or video cameras may be what you're looking for. Kids will love them and parents will, too, because these cameras are built to take the abuse kids
- 3 Waterproof Shockproof Digital Cameras Worth a Look
The features you'll find in today's waterproof, shockproof digital cameras not only include the ability to be dropped or submersed in water, but also some great things you might not expect, such as built-in GPS, HD recording, 3-D images and panoramic