jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)

Wi-Fi

1. Woman Of Courage profile image60
    Woman Of Courageposted 5 years ago

How do you set up your own Wi-Fi in your home using a 2 Wire modem.

2. Cagsil profile image60
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

I think a router is needed to make Wi-Fi in your home. A modem by itself isn't good enough.

Then again, me being wrong wouldn't surprise me. Especially about this subject. So, hopefully someone else will come along to help you out.

Woman Of Courageposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hello Cagsil. Thanks for your help.

1. Cagsil profile image60
        Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hello WOC, I'm just not sure how helpful I was. I stopped fiddling with computers and their complexity a long time ago. lol

Lol smile

3. Aficionada profile image90
    Aficionadaposted 5 years ago

This sounds like what we have here, but my husband set it up and he's not home now.  Along with the modem - from ATT - we received a manual of sorts (which I just now looked for, but couldn't find), and he jotted in it all the numbers and codes that are used for the Wi-Fi.  I don't know whether he got that info from an individual or whether it was somewhere on the modem itself.  When he gets home I'll ask him, if no one else has answered by that time.

Ok thanks Aficionada. I have ATT router with with built in modem. Someone has assisted me with instructions, and Wi-Fi is now connected in my home.

4. prettydarkhorse profile image64
    prettydarkhorseposted 5 years ago

You can buy a wireless router if your provider has it

Thanks prettydarkhorse. I did not desire to pay for a another router. I was able to connect with the the wired router.

5. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 5 years ago

If your modem is not wireless-friendly, it is still possible to share the internet connection by linking the computers (wirelessly or otherwise), and there are plenty of sites out there on the net to give step-by-step details.

I tried a million ways to connect my computer to my Dad's, when wanting to share his internet connection, but it wouldn't work - then I looked on his provider's site and they said they had disabled the possibility.

That was a couple of years ago, now they have moved forward and we are connected through a wireless router.

Thanks Izzy. Actually I connected my cellphone to the router in my home to receive extra data.

working