jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

A question of addresses

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image97
    DzyMsLizzyposted 6 months ago

Hi folks!

I have an issue with E-Bay about every 2 months.  They send me an e-mail telling me that there "may have been unauthorized us of your account."  In this process, they shut off my access by disabling my password, and forcing me to change it. 
    When I check, there has been no activity that was not my own.  This is maddening and frustrating.

Sometimes, I log in from my Kindle; rarely from my laptop; and most frequently from my desktop PC.

Now, I wonder, isn't the IP address derived from and dependent upon the ISP, and it should not change with each device?  (We only have one ISP.)
    If so, you'd think they could track by that, and stop the bogus 'warnings' that cause more inconvenience to the user than to any would-be hackers?

2. SureEnough profile image59
    SureEnoughposted 6 months ago

Gosh, I've been getting this sort of emails about my credit cards or Paypal account on a weekly basis at least.  Out they go in the spam folder.  This is an annoyance but I can deal with it.

DzyMsLizzyposted 6 months agoin reply to this

Unfortunately, these are not spam; they are actually from E-Bay.  I know, because they also appear in my inbox on that site, and when seeking a solution by phone (I initiated the call), they verified that this was happening, and apologized, blaming their 'security protocols.'  BAH!

3. SureEnough profile image59
    SureEnoughposted 6 months ago

This never happened to me.  I mean emails that look like spam and turned out not. 

P.S. If you really had an account on that site, you would know how to spell it
    Just saying

DzyMsLizzyposted 6 months agoin reply to this

The email did NOT "look like spam;"  I never said it did.   I did say that I  determined it to be legitimate.

And yes, I really have an account on ebay, E-Bay, Ebay, or E-bay; however you want to "spell" it. It has had variations over the years!'

Meanwhile, I have been here on Hub Pages for 7 years, and have over 300 published articles, while I see you have just joined in the last month or so, and have zero articles published, so I would suggest you find your way around and learn the ropes here before making snarky comments.

In any case, none of that is the issue about which I asked!; my question was a TECHNICAL question about how computers register and read IP addresses.

working