This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (6 posts)

Web design & management 2018, Best website builder?

1. Niclas Bergman profile image85
    Niclas Bergmanposted 4 months ago

Hey everyone, I'm Nick and I wonder what you people think is the best website builder to use when creating a new website in 2018?

Take into consideration that some people don't have experience in code

Personally I can recommend companies like Weebly, Wix, Jimdo, Squarespace and Blogger depending on what genre your website is gonna fit in to.

1. promisem profile image96
      promisemposted 4 months agoin reply to this

I have worked with 4 out of 5 products you mention and think that WordPress is better than any of them.

Niclas Bergmanposted 4 months agoin reply to this

Ah I forgot to mention Wordpress. Yes I can agree that Wordpress is significantly better in some areas like SEO and their wide access to templates. Although for some people who don’t want to spend money or don’t have any previous experience I think starting out with some of the alternatives I mentioned in the post could be better.

1. promisem profile image96
          promisemposted 4 months agoin reply to this

Honestly, I would recommend to anyone that they spend $6-8 a month for a hosting account rather than a free account at Wix or elsewhere

Search engines have more respect for independent sites.

2. Marisa Wright profile image97
    Marisa Wrightposted 4 months ago

Blogger is a good option if you really, really can't afford to pay for hosting.  If you can afford a few dollars a month, then go for the paid version of Wordpress (which is Wordpress.com)  or sign up with a host and install the Wordpress.org software

I would never, ever recommend anyone to start a website on Wix or Weebly or any similar website platform for one simple reason:  you're stuck.  If they change their features, or put their prices up, or you need functionality they don't have, there is NO way to export your website and move it to another platform.  You'll have to design it somewhere else from scratch, and you may even have to manually cut and paste every single post.  And considering how fast things change online, you can't say, "but I would never need to do that". 

Also, it does not matter what "genre" your website fits into.  Choose the platform based on cost, and the features offered by the software, including transferability.  That's all that matters.

Niclas Bergmanposted 4 months agoin reply to this

While you make a few points with your reply you actually can migrate your site from weebly. They allow you to download and export your site and there are other services online offered that allows you to make the export Wordpress compatible. Look up “migrate weebly to Wordpress” on google.

working