jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Best linux distribution for an old laptop?

1. Owenyoyoyo profile image59
    Owenyoyoyoposted 7 years ago

Best linux distribution for an old laptop?

What is the best linux distribution for an old laptop - pentium III , 1000Mhz 256Mb Ram? Additionally which would have the best out of the box support for a belkin n1 card or a netgear wg511v3? I have looked into the 'mini' distros and I am interested in these but do not have the option of a USB boot.

2. internett1t3 profile image56
    internett1t3posted 7 years ago

Just try the openSUSE, this is one of the one of the best distribution for an old laptop.

3. bettanywire profile image57
    bettanywireposted 7 years ago

For me Mandriva Linux, or Red Hat Enterprise Linux are the best Linus distribution for an old laptop.

4. joeaura7 profile image55
    joeaura7posted 7 years ago

A mini distro for a older computer would be puppy linux. It is very light and will run very fast on your computer. I have also used Slax which is slightly heavier and has more functionalty

5. Linuxaria profile image60
    Linuxariaposted 7 years ago

Why red hat enterprise ? it's a Server edition built to be run on servers not pc.

I suggest Lubuntu, or puppy linux these are quiet lightweight Distro.

6. lycorne profile image63
    lycorneposted 7 years ago

You have probably found the distro you wish to use by now, but if you hadn't I'll add my two cents.  I would recommend installing Lubuntu a varient of Ubuntu which uses LXDE for it's desktop.  It only requires 128 ram and Pentium II processor.  Or you could try Xubuntu.

7. digitalkdogg profile image55
    digitalkdoggposted 6 years ago

Puppy linux is small, fast but still pops a big punch.  I would recommend that for an older laptop/pc.

working