jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Can I upgrade my hard drive on laptop?

1. jamesroy11143 profile image59
    jamesroy11143posted 7 years ago

Can I upgrade my hard drive on laptop?

I have to upgrade my hard drive, can you educate me??

2. chan0512 profile image61
    chan0512posted 7 years ago

yes, you can. Since I don't see what type of laptop you have I can't provide more details answer. Depending on your laptop, some maybe very easy to do and some may not be as easy. For instance, most dell laptops can be upgraded within minutes and Sony laptop is a bit hassle. Please check your manual for more details. Different laptop has different configuration.

3. AKdude profile image60
    AKdudeposted 7 years ago

I have before. Replacing a hard drive on a laptop pretty easy.

On underside of laptop you will find an access panel. Remove. The hard drive will also be held in by screws or a bracket. Remove these also. The drive should pop out now.

When I did mine, I found all the specs I needed to replace with same type on the drive itself. I used these to shop for a newer one. If you are looking to upgrade to a newer SATA drive that is usually doable using an adapter that should come with new drive.

Simply reverse process installing new drive.

Note: When doing this keep in mind you are dealing with sensitive electronics. Make sure you keep yourself properly grounded so you don't zap something while working.

Before you started, you should have made a copy to disc of your operating system and any backups you needed. Or you may have a newer OS on hand. You will need to reinstall everything.

I'm not an expert at this but I once had to do out of necessity to save a laptop. This was done on an HP. It was pretty easy.

4. Wombara profile image55
    Wombaraposted 7 years ago

In most cases you can upgrade your hard drive. You will probably find that the drive it behind a flap on the base of the laptop and is secured with a screw or two.

You will need to get a drive of the same type and (physical) size, for example a 2.5 inch SATA.

You should also make sure you have a copy of the operating system on a bootable installation disk. If you have not got this, it's a non-starter I'm afraid.

Also think about your software and the drivers for printers, etc. You will need the installation disks (or downloaded files) to re-install these.

Finally, don't forget your data. Back it up ready for loading onto your new drive. Try not to forget things like email, internet favourites and short-cuts.

Hope this helps, Wes

working