jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Can you set an expiry date on a file, so that it deletes itself?

1. john.jackson profile image71
    john.jacksonposted 7 years ago

Can you set an expiry date on a file, so that it deletes itself?

This may be a questions more suited to a computer forum, but I was wondering, if I wanted to send a file which would delete itself after a day or so, is there a way to do this?

2. simeonvisser profile image84
    simeonvisserposted 7 years ago

I don't think you can, in particular not on someone else's computer to which you have sent the file. But you can probably find software which can delete the file at a certain time and date. I haven't searched if such software exists but you'd need a piece of software that tells the operating system to delete the file. There is no expiry date among a file's properties, only creation date and date of last modification.

3. Decosigner profile image58
    Decosignerposted 7 years ago

This is an interesting question. Only a computer program can auto-delete a file. I think it is not possible at this time. But hey, this idea is great!

4. ishadi profile image61
    ishadiposted 6 years ago

I think it is not possible. because, between Bios and operating system, two things are interlinked. dates listed in the OS, derived from the Bios. if that happens, only one possibility. There are types of viruses that can damage the system Bios.