How can I get my computer to speed up as it seems to be getting slower and slowe

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (15 posts)
  1. Nell Rose profile image91
    Nell Roseposted 12 years ago

How can I get my computer to speed up as it seems to be getting slower and slower

I really need a simple and quick explanation that I can use quickly as I am not getting into my pc for at least an hour, thanks!

2. Rolly A Chabot profile image81
    Rolly A Chabotposted 12 years ago

Defrag it and clean out all temporary files and cookies... that should help

3. sam209 profile image77
    sam209posted 12 years ago

this site can possibly help you out as well. http://www.myfasterpc.com/

4. rnewco profile image59
    rnewcoposted 12 years ago

Plenty of free options. First I would ensure your anti virus is up to date (If you don't have one, get one, AVG Free is pretty common and reliable) Allow the software to do a full system scan (this can take several minutes or hours)
    Next run a good Spyware program. Microsoft Security Essentials is a piece of software that has become more reliable and is free. Let that do a full system scan
    Microsoft Security Essentials also can scan for viruses, so if you have neither Anti Virus or Anti Spyware program, get it.
    After that is done, Defrag the hard drive.
    I would also consider clearing temporary files, files still in your recycle bin and a great program to help with that is CCleaner (www.ccleaner.com) it can do more including removing invalid registry keys. This cleans up any reference in your system registry to any programs you no longer have, but your system is still looking for them.
    The slower your computer the longer this can take but is well worth it.
    Finally, you can run a CheckDisk (known as CHKDSK) from the command line. Let it prompt you and agree to running the first time you start your system. I had one laptop 2 weeks ago that ran very slow, the fix that put the icing on the cake was bad sectors in the hard drive identified by CHKDSK and was able to repair, after that, the system was humming along.

5. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

I use this exact software in the link I'm going to drop here, and I think that it is absolutely wonderful.

The paid version is better, but the free version is good enough for me - it does everything for you that the persons below recommend, and it is a free and easy to install and use program that I've endorsed for years.

http://download.cnet.com/Advanced-Syste … 07614.html

6. Manna in the wild profile image63
    Manna in the wildposted 12 years ago

If you are doing basic internet stuff then Install Ubuntu.
    Unless there are certain windows apps that you really really need or you have a lot of hardware that needs to interface to it. It's usually possible to find a way to do everything you need on Ubuntu but it does get more geeky as the requirements become less 'mainstream' but if all you do is email, browse, listen to music, use art packages, and actually many other things then you will probably find it very good. If you like the idea, you can try out a 'live DVD' which just runs from the DVD without touching your hard-disk.

7. stugod profile image67
    stugodposted 12 years ago

AOL are also doing a free computer tune up job. You do have to pay in the end though. I tried it on my aunts computer and it was very efficient. It did not cure the computer as there was a hard drive fault on it. They gave me my money back though with no arguments..

8. teamrn profile image61
    teamrnposted 12 years ago

I know one thing you can do which helps, is to quit out of the applications that you're not using. My husband always gets 'on my case' about the 15 or so applications that I have opened, closed the windows-BUT NOT QUIT THE APPLICATIONS-SHUT THEM DOWN!

9. profile image57
    watumademeposted 12 years ago

Nell,
    I just went to office max with the same exact question. I told them my computer has not been responding and taking forever to load. They said. They would complete a free diagnoses, And then once they diagnosed the issue. They would tell you the problem as well as the cost and go forward with fixing the computer if you agree to their cost. The cost is around $30.00 and up. It can get very expensive.

You can also go online to mycleanpc.com and download the software to clean it out yourself in the privacy of your own home, there is a fee to do this, but it will be worth it. I hope this helps and good luck to you fixing your computer.

10. chivs86 profile image80
    chivs86posted 12 years ago

The best program I found is system mechanic.  I've been using it for the past two weeks on both my sisters computer's and I think it's definitely your best option. 

The disadvantage of it is unfortunately that you have to pay for it, but on the upside of downloading it their is a 30 day trial.  This is what I've got at the moment and I've found since using it, it's sped both computers up.  I don't know what I'm going to do after the 30 day's is up without paying for it, but for anyone else for short term I would definitely recommend it.

11. geetika iyer profile image75
    geetika iyerposted 12 years ago

A quick fix to get some temperory files cleared from your system would be to go to Run program and type - temp. This will open all the temporary files. Delete them.

Also run-%temp% the same way, and delete all files.
    If the window prompts that some of these files are being used, do not delete them.
    These commands when used time to time removes all the temporary files saved in your system.

Same way you can type-%msconfig% in run program and unselect programs you dont want starting when the computer is started, this will also reduce the start up time.

12. OneYearLater profile image60
    OneYearLaterposted 12 years ago

Definitely defragment your hard drive if you've never done such a thing. Delete temp files, recycling bin, etc. You can use a usb as temporary memory (look up Windows ReadyBoost) as well. Good luck?

13. taw2012 profile image61
    taw2012posted 12 years ago

1) Delete all the unwanted and junk files on your computer.
    2) Reduce storing excess files on a single drive and share it among partitions.
    3) Do not install many antivurus softwares; keep one which is good.
    4) Thoroughly scan the computer and ensure that it is free from viruses.
    5) Use some good software like cccleaner.

14. shadowspyro99 profile image60
    shadowspyro99posted 12 years ago

It could be depending on the giga bites that are held within your computer you probably have too much information on your computer. For instant you probably have a notebook computer the small computers that are only cost $200.00 at wal-mart, those don't hold that much information if you place your computer background to nothing it will help make it faster, the reason why is that the background holds at least 1gb for your computer, also your computer probably holds a lot of games, if you buy a storage at wal-mart then you can put it in the storage unit, if you get a 10gb then you are golden even for a 10gb can hold up to 1000 information such as songs, they probably take up 4 giga bites per song downloaded so get a storage unit, ask the people who work in wal-mart they will help you. Hope this helps, also if you make sure that your computer that you last worked on is safe in a storage unit then go to help and support you can clear all your extra space that you are not even using and your computer is. I hope this helps.

15. profile image0
    Bilal Sirajposted 12 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6374608_f260.jpg

Firstly, what I would do to get it working faster is delete any unnecessary files, software and documents.

* Go to the control panel (Start >> Control Panel >> Add or remove programs) and go through the list of the software you have on the PC. Uninstall the programs you rarely use.

* Check your 'My Documents' folder for old documents, reports, databases or anything of the sort. Delete it all!

* When it comes to your internet browser, try clearing all of your browser history, cookies and cache.

* Some software such as Yahoo Messenger, Skype or Utorrent automatically open when the computer is turned on. This slows the PC down a bit. Change the preferences to something like 'Do not open when Windows starts'.

These are the ways I get my computer to speed up. But, the problem could also be in your computer. Maybe, the processor is old or you have low disk space. Hopefully what I've shared will help you get what you want. Ciao!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)