jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Should you leave your cable modem turned on?

1. Dumbledore profile image86
    Dumbledoreposted 6 years ago

Should you leave your cable modem turned on?

2. Dumbledore profile image86
    Dumbledoreposted 6 years ago

One of the promoted advantages of cable modems is the always on feature. This feature is both an advantage and a threat.  The author analyzes this feature as it applies to green energy and network security. read more

3. stylezink profile image82
    stylezinkposted 6 years ago

I don't. It looks like a lit Christmas tree. Twinkling with all of it's bright lights. I've also heard that if they stay on they are always running, creating high electric bills. I've not done the research, it's something I just heard. But it does seem like it would raise the bill since it's constantly working and with all those bright lights going.

4. skear profile image96
    skearposted 6 years ago

If your computer is directly connected to a modem then you may want to turn it off when it's not in use.

If the modem is directly connected to a firewall or router then there really isn't much benefit to turning it off when not in use.

Some providers do place a cap on total bandwidth usage and turning off the modem is a sure way to guarantee that no traffic is passing through the device.

5. Romian1 profile image78
    Romian1posted 6 years ago

I don't have a bandwidth limit. The modem is secured enough with passkey and the computers themselves have firewalls.  I have laptops and computers throughout the house and the modem is in the 2nd floor.  It would be a pain to to shutting down the modem and turning it back on repeatedly. There is no benefit. The device itself hardly consumes power.

working