App for Speaking to Text to use as a "hearing aid" that does NOT have to be conn

1. eye say profile image83
    eye sayposted 6 years ago

App for Speaking to Text to use as a "hearing aid" that does NOT have to be connected to the interne

My dad is hard of hearing and the hearing aids don't work.
    I'm looking for an app that he can take out to use as a voice translator. He needs to be able to point the ipad or android tablet at the person who is talking (waitress, sales clerk, librarian, friend, wife etc) then be able to read what they have said so he can understand them.
    It needs to be a stand alone app so he doesn't have to have wifi for it to work. It also needs to be able to recognize multiple voices, not just his own. It also must be very simple to use - he's 82 ...

2. JohnGreasyGamer profile image84
    JohnGreasyGamerposted 6 years ago

Sadly, I don't know of this kind of app, but I know that PCs/Macs, etc. can read text back to you. But I'm sure your dad won't want to carry round a laptop just so someone else can type words into it, then have it read back.

I can tell you now that it will be much more than an application (or app), but perhaps its own console. If you happen to be in an area where you have the NHS and not private healthcare, etc, then I'm sure they can provide something like this for free if you go on their site or something.

If it's needed on a console like an iPhone or iPad I guarentee it's already under construction by the Apple company. It's not a financial race to them, but rather getting to people who *need* this.

I don't know how you could do it, but perhaps make your own? If you know how to tinker, you could perhaps get a microphone and speaker. Maybe something like what news reporters use - they sometimes have an earpiece giving them autocue (scripts read back to them).

I honestly have no idea, but I'm sure you'll work something out. Best of luck! ^_^

working