How much money can you really make from writing on HubPages?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (54 posts)
  1. Baraccuza profile image60
    Baraccuzaposted 12 years ago

Many people writing different things. But I and I'm sure that many other people would like to know the potential of hubpages.
    Thanks for answers.

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

After over 2 years and 500+ hubs I am up to a dollar a day with Adsense now smile

2. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 12 years agoin reply to this
      1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Whose that cool person 9th one down?

2. MakinBacon profile image81
    MakinBaconposted 12 years ago

For me, I've been on Hubpages for a little over two years, and make, on average, between $700.00 to $800.00 a month.

Having said that, over that time I've probably only written for a total of three months, as it's not close to my online writing priority, as I make my big money elsewhere.

Another factor is I use Hubpages to do a lot of experimenting for things I want to learn about for other blogs or websites of mine.

I mean to encourage you by that, as anyone that's willing to be flexible in their writing and write things people want to know about or are interested in, should do very well on Hubpages.

So many people gripe here that they don't get traffic, but say they aren't going to change anything about the way or topics they write about. They will always struggle no matter what platform they write for, or if they write on their own blog or website.

Forget about trying to be Hemingway, a A-lister or rabble rouser, if you want to make money.

Once you get some traffic and generate some revenue, then you can do some of thing writing you want to do for your personal pleasure, or whatever other reason.

To make money though, stick with what people are interested in or need answers to. That will result in significant revenue if you stick with it over time.

1. rabbit75 profile image85
      rabbit75posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I write mostly on here for pleasure. I'm quite new to hubpages, but I do know internet marketing principles and a few techniques. Writing a hub or any article or blog post is just one step. Promoting your writing is a huge part of getting traffic as well as keyword research.

Finding what people are searching for a lot with low competition is a big part, but promoting it also helps to get traffic as well as search engine rankings.

However, as for hubpages, I write what I know about and love pretty much.

2. Anhedonia profile image63
      Anhedoniaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

WOW. I know this is 2 months late But I really need to know, how many hubs have you published? It seems you make quite a great deal of income. I want a solid figure, so I can motivate myself in getting myself to at least a fraction of what you are.

1. Susana S profile image90
        Susana Sposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Not two months late...two years late.

This is an old thread.

1. Writer Fox profile image31
          Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Actually, this thread is three years old. (Pre-Panda 2011!)

2. Anhedonia profile image63

Well I apologize for grave digging, however this matter is the utmost importance to me. If so, could you provide me an answer?

1. psycheskinner profile image83
            psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Start a new thread on it so people can give answers that relate to how things are now.

2. Millionaire Tips profile image92
            Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

We are not permitted to discuss our earnings, so you are not likely to get very much information anymore.

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
              Marcy Goodfleischposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This is true.  Years ago, the site published success stories that showed 'average' earnings of a few Hubbers, but that information changed dramatically.  Overall, the site doesn't permit discussing those things.  This is good, because it protects Hubbers who do well from being mimicked by those who simply want quick money.

1. Anhedonia profile image63

I'm not looking for specific income. I"m looking for X(number) of hubs made. But thanks.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
                  Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That's an impossible question to answer, because (as others have said) Hubs vary in how much money they make.  I have one Hub which has made about $500 in its lifetime, and another, of a similar age, that's made about $50. 

The thing is, no matter how much keyword research you do, the science is imprecise:  sometimes a subject you expect to soar will do nothing, and a Hub you wrote for fun will go viral.    The 80/20 rule applies:  you'll earn 80% of your income from 20% of your Hubs - but until you've written them, you don't know which 20%.

That means you may have to write 100 Hubs to produce 20 that earn well.  Or you may create the "right " 20 Hubs first.   There's no way to know.

1. NateB11 profile image88
                    NateB11posted 9 years agoin reply to this

This is right on, and some experimenting reveals it to be true. I have to keep in mind that 80/20 rule.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
                  psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That sounds like a statement of income to me.

3. Millionaire Tips profile image92
                  Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That information would be unlikely to be helpful to you, since we don't get paid by the hub.  We get paid by traffic.  So someone could have written only one hub and made a lot of money, while someone else could have written a lot of hubs and still not make payout every month or even every year.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image89
                Rochelle Frankposted 9 years agoin reply to this

-- Can you cite  TOS reference about discussing earnings?  I tried to tell someone that, but they said something like "sez-who?". I couldn't find it in the learning center.

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
                  Marcy Goodfleischposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Rochelle - I don't know exactly where it's located, but maybe one of the others here can cite it.  It's my understanding that we can't discuss specifics related to ad revenues, etc. - but general examples might be okay.

2. Barbara Kay profile image73
                  Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think that rumor started with the fact that you can't share what you earn per click from Adsense. I have never seen an actual rule that you can't share your earnings. If I'm wrong, please let me know and where Hubpages states it.

It is definitely a rule, I've seen it referred to many times on the forums, including by staff. In the TOU, about half-way through it, under Payment, last paragraph says:

"You acknowledge and agree that You will not publicly disclose Your payments or Earned Balance (including any subcomponents thereof) from the HubPages Earnings Program without prior written consent of HubPages."

However, I've always wanted clarification and specifics about the rule.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
                    Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You probably recall that we used to discuss our earnings all the time - the only thing we weren't allowed to discuss were precise details about Adsense.   The rule about not discussing earnings is one of those that was "snuck in" without being announced, so I'm not sure when it was introduced -- I became aware of it when staff started referring to it in the forums.

3. Susana S profile image90
            Susana Sposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It's not got much to do with numbers of hubs.

There are hubbers that get many thousands of views per day. If you average $5 per 1000, then that would give you some indication.

Most hubbers don't get anywhere near that kind of traffic though.

3. Garrett Mickley profile image78
    Garrett Mickleyposted 12 years ago

I make enough for it to be worth sticking around.

4. incomeguru profile image96
    incomeguruposted 12 years ago

To know the potential of hubpages, click the link posted by relache above. 1000 page views/day can make on average $3.00

1. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hmm, if my CPM was that low I doubt I would continue.  CPM will vary based on material. Until recently mine was double that.

5. D22314 profile image62
    D22314posted 12 years ago

It depends on how many hubs you have, the traffic that you get, and the programs that you use. I don't use eBay on Hubpages, but I'm sure I could make a few extra bucks each month if I did. Adsense on this site is brutal, I've barely earned a dollar from them. However, since the new Ad program has been introduced, I've been earning at least $5 a month from old hubs. I'm going to start writing again and see what happens.

6. Java Programs profile image60
    Java Programsposted 12 years ago

I am new to hubpages and quite excited to know this that people are making a lot of money here...

7. ssaffery profile image79
    ssafferyposted 12 years ago

It depends what Wall Street feels like dishing out for that specific day and consumer market. At least that's how I look at it. You can write a lot of hubs and get a million readers or a million different IP addresses to click on the ads in your articles and it still won't matter. At least that's what I've experienced. So far, I generate between $100.00 to $150.00 every 3 to 4 months with AdSense but it would be great to generate ten or twenty times that amount. I'm sure there are some hubbers who earn more than $1000.00 a month.

8. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 9 years ago

This likely popped up in the helpful list at the bottom of forum threads that has 'related' discussions.  Some are much older than two years.  The information in them is outdated - especially anything related to revenue.

Exactly. There's another old thread that got bumped and people on the thread were advising people to bold-face keywords in their articles, which I'm pretty sure is a no-no these days. Funny thing is, one guy in the thread prophetically said that the bold-facing thing would get abused soon too.

9. Amanda Severn profile image94
    Amanda Severnposted 9 years ago

Realistically, there are far easier ways to earn money quickly, but if you're prepared to stick around for the steady trickle that keeps coming long after the hubs are written, then yes, it's worth it.

10. SmartAndFun profile image95
    SmartAndFunposted 9 years ago

As Susana S stated, one popular hub can earn much more than 100 of them which no one cares to read.

If you'd like to see how many hubs MakinBacon has, simply go back to his (her?) post in this thread, click on his screen name and it will take you to his profile, which lists how many hubs he has. Currently that number is 394; there is no way to know how many hubs he had two or three years ago unless he  responds to your question. I haven't seen this hubber active in the forums in quite some time You could also try sending him an email through the fanmail link on his profile.

11. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

I have moved my hubs.  I left 2 remaining to see what would happen to earnings, and then left one hub.  I had 70 hubs but the one hub was the one I learned from process of elimination, was the money maker as far as HP Earnings program goes.  People, namely new hubbers, have posted that they just made first payout, and have had only 10 hubs.  There is simply no way of knowing.  The one hub that was my money hub, also had the most traffic. No sales from that one which was not my intentions when I wrote it to begin with even though I had a couple of products on it. I don't mind showing my cards, that hub was a Military hub about Marine Boot Camp. I have not written anymore military hubs because I had no desire to do so.   Feb is Black History Month, lots of ideas there.  I did a few articles a few months ahead and published them rather than wait until the holiday was here.  It took 3 years for me to make my first payout, then suddenly I was getting a payout every month or two and making sales. You simply never know what will work, or when things will suddenly take off like a rocket.

12. LindaSmith1 profile image60

You acknowledge and agree that You will not publicly disclose Your payments or Earned Balance (including any subcomponents thereof) from the HubPages Earnings Program without prior written consent of HubPages.
    http://hubpages.com/help/user_agreement

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
      Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Ok. Now I know that I can't do that. I haven't for a long while since someone on the forums mentioned that you can't.

13. LindaSmith1 profile image60

9. Confidentiality
    You agree not to disclose Google Confidential Information without our prior written consent. "Google Confidential Information" includes: (a) all Google software, technology and documentation relating to the Services; (b) click-through rates or other statistics relating to Property performance as pertaining to the Services;
    Notwithstanding this Section 9, you may accurately disclose the amount of Google's gross payments resulting from your use of the Services.

https://www.google.com/adsense/localized-terms

14. Kristen Howe profile image93
    Kristen Howeposted 9 years ago

It takes time to make money on HP, especially with Adsense, Amazon and ebay products. Within time, you can make up to $50  before payout. And that's if you've been here for six months or so. I've been here for around four months, and still have ways to go. I make a little bit of money each day.  I promote my hubs on Twitter, Facebook, Google + and started doing Pinterest last month. It had helped a little in the long run.

15. Wavie profile image60
    Wavieposted 8 years ago

Okay I don't get why people ask how many hubs they've made. click on their name and you will be directed to their profile where the number of hubs they have made will be displayed. Simple.

1. passionatelearnr profile image87
      passionatelearnrposted 8 years agoin reply to this

yes,but that doesn't tell about the money they made.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image89
        Rochelle Frankposted 8 years agoin reply to this

... because it is against the terms of use, as has already been stated and repeated. I'll repeat it again: "You acknowledge and agree that You will not publicly disclose Your payments or Earned Balance (including any subcomponents thereof) from the HubPages Earnings Program without prior written consent of HubPages."

16. Sherry Hewins profile image93
    Sherry Hewinsposted 8 years ago

HP used to brag about how much money their high earners made. They don't do that anymore.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yes, you'll notice on old threads (four or five years old) that we are all disclosing our earnings left, right and centre - when things were going well, HubPages was happy for us to brag how much we were making, and the HubPages' own blog had several posts featuring the highest-earning Hubbers and their earnings.

After the bottom fell out of earnings after Panda in 2011, suddenly it became against the rules to discuss how much we earned.

1. makingamark profile image70
        makingamarkposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the explanation.

I was puzzled when I became a member during the great squidoo transfer last year as I was sure I'd read threads within the HubPages Forum at some point in the past as to earnings. I couldn't reconcile my memory with the rules - but you have supplied the answer re the disconnect!

17. JvicIndia profile image69
    JvicIndiaposted 6 years ago

I used to make around $300 to $400 per month four years ago but my earnings have now reduced drastically due to low traffic. in 2012-13, I used to get 250 visitors to my top hub but now i hardly get 30 visitors to my top hub. I presume this is due to google's stringent SEO guidelines vis-a-vis Panda update

1. theraggededge profile image97
      theraggededgeposted 6 years agoin reply to this

This is another old thread. Please just read them, but don't respond. They are out of date and probably irrelevant.

It's also against ToS to disclose your earnings.

18. Eric Caunca profile image95
    Eric Cauncaposted 3 years ago

Why I can't see ads on the HubPages? I only see the word "advertisement" but not the ads itself. I can't see the ads even the articles which did not write by me but by another author. On other websites, I can see ads. Do I still earn?
    How to bring it back? Thank you

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Do you have an ad blocker in use?

2. lobobrandon profile image87
      lobobrandonposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Danny also seems to have the exact same issue: https://hubpages.com/community/forum/34 … t-showing-

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)