jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Does anyone know where/how to purchase/build a cheap generator large enough for

1. searchfortruth profile image63
    searchfortruthposted 6 years ago

Does anyone know where/how to purchase/build a cheap generator large enough for industrial use?

2. Axaflaxar profile image45
    Axaflaxarposted 6 years ago

What are you trying to do. Being a Manufacturer I would never try to build my own generator for commerical use.  There are many local and federal regulations that must be followed first for your own safety as well as others.  I would try to buy one refurbished first.

3. searchfortruth profile image63
    searchfortruthposted 6 years ago

To elaborate:  My use of such a generator is not commercial.  Purely private and scientific in nature.  I require a significant source of power generation(as much as I can possibly generate in a practical sense) as my draw is also significant.  I am unfamiliar with the generator market and am simply trying to get some advice to the best course of action.  My research begins with, I suppose, which would be more financially practical?  Thank you

4. ShootersCenter profile image71
    ShootersCenterposted 6 years ago

Machinery and equipment auctions, in your area would probably have the best used units. You should take an experienced mechanic with you to check it out.

5. claudiafox profile image74
    claudiafoxposted 6 years ago

You plan off grid remote generation?   How big is "industrial?"
    These projects generally start as spreadsheet exercises by a contract electrical engineer. You tell the engineer your budget, and resources, and get a flow chart, a spreadsheet and project plan.
    You might start to project-plan it by first defining your load, or demand.
    Then ask, is the load sporadic, or non-stop?
    Then, consider fuels available.
    You will want to use the lowest-cost fuel.
    For example projects with large non-stop load - like smelters - will generally locate in a country with low-cost hydro generation.
    So once you know your load, load type, and local fuel source, you can consider generation options; hydro, oil, solar, gas, coal. Your contracted engineer would know the options and vendors, and costs. Thats what you pay an engineer to do. Feasibility studies.
    Then the environmental approval process begins......all of this can take two years at least.
    Also each area will have its electricity rules and usually, if a local pool exists, all units over (say) 30MW must by law, be dispatched centrally.

6. vasoov profile image60
    vasoovposted 6 years ago

Quite a few commercial diesel generators are actually built from parts coming from different manufacturers. I've seen some with ratings to 1000KVA. Very often you will see engines made by John Deere.. yep the same as used by the tractors. The coils which generate the electricity come from Stratton. Then the generator "manufacturer" adds an  electronic control panel and a shell with a brand name and bingo... a generator is born.

7. profile image49
    jackdohsonposted 5 years ago

For more knowledge about the machinery auctions you should visit the BPI Auctions for the best deals.