jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Should there be age restrictions for Facebook users?

1. momsponge profile image71
    momspongeposted 6 years ago

Should there be age restrictions for Facebook users?

Would limiting kids children under the age of 18 help with cyber bullying? Although it might be hard to fully enforce but may deter some.

2. Angie497 profile image78
    Angie497posted 6 years ago

Although I'm not sure that it would help with cyber bullying, I definitely believe that there should be age restrictions for Facebook and other social networking sites. There are certainly younger teens that are more internet savvy than many adults (and conversely, some adults that shouldn't be allowed online without a keeper), but I don't think it's a good idea to assume that all of them are.

My 'wish list' would probably be impossible to enforce, but I wish it were possible to require the parents of users under 18 to also be on Facebook and to be friends with their child. I wonder if some of the more obnoxious behavior might be muted if people knew someone's mom or dad (or both) were watching.

3. trimar7 profile image60
    trimar7posted 6 years ago

I don't think that would be possible. Number one - people do not tell the truth. Number two - there would quickly be another forum for children to join. It would be impossible to keep up with. The answer is that parents need to monitor their children's online experiences. The shooting of the laptop was extreme but it sends the message - abuse - you lose. That should be the motto for parents. I do think taking it away would be sufficient enough however. Keep the guns locked in the cabinet when it comes to laptops.

4. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 6 years ago

There are age restrictions on some of the games. For example, games with alcoholic beverages are not allowed if your birthday does not match the 21 year old mark. There are also limits on how many friends you can add at a certain time. Sometimes if there is a problem with your account or too many reports against you, they will send one of the team members to check your website or they will turn off your website. So all that must be done is if your child is being bullied, post reports against the bully's profile and their profile might be deleted if there are too many negative reports. Like each family member or all of your friends gang up on one profile, that profile will probably be gone in a while because of it. The technology is there, no one knows about it though.

working