jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Why does my computer sound like a lawn mower?

1. Jeannieinabottle profile image91
    Jeannieinabottleposted 6 years ago

Why does my computer sound like a lawn mower?

I have a very loud computer.  I am pretty sure my neighbors can hear it right now.  It is quite annoying.  Is it possessed or is there a logical explanation behind this?

2. profile image0
    SJmorningsun25posted 6 years ago

It may be the fan working overtime--that happened to my old laptop, and a tech support call/visit determined that one of the fans was broken (causing the loud whirring noise) and the heat sink and motherboard were fried, causing the overheating that made the fan work overtime. You might want to have the computer looked at.

Another problem might be that the ventilation system is blocked, in which case you can try to get the machine onto a surface with no blockages/air restrictions and see if that helps. If the loud noises are happening during actual processing activities, and things are moving slowly, then your problems aren't mechanical--maybe someone else can help with that one.

3. profile image0
    idratherbeposted 6 years ago

Sounds like the fan is full of dirt. Open the unit and carefully vacuum out all the dirt and dust. Take special attention to the fan and the outside vents of the fan, removing all the dust. If it still sounds noisy, you may have to replace the fan. Take note of how it's installed and reinstall a new one. Changing the fan is a simple process. Good luck!

4. truthfornow profile image82
    truthfornowposted 6 years ago

I had a computer sound like this and then it when dead and nothing could be retrieved.  Save your computer before it burns up.

5. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

The fan to the power supply is likely going bad and needs to be replaced. Processor fans can be loud too but if it sounds like a jet plane taking off, it is likely the fan for the power source.

If you follow advice that tells you to vacuum your unit, be sure that you are grounded so that no static electricity hits the hard drive.

6. The Marker profile image58
    The Markerposted 6 years ago

Beware, it could be a bad hard disk drive. I have experienced the same and lost some of my files. Backup now!