jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How do you transfer old VHS videos to a DVD?

1. Turtlewoman profile image94
    Turtlewomanposted 5 years ago

How do you transfer old VHS videos to a DVD?

2. Randy M. profile image87
    Randy M.posted 5 years ago

If you have an older DV camcorder, you can use its analog-to-digital converter to digitize a VHS tape.  The problem is that the recording time will be limited to the length of the tape, so you may have to use more than one tape in the camcorder.  Then you can download the tape to the computer.  If you have more than one tape, you can stitch the recordings together with a video editing program.

Another alternative is to have a stand-alone DVD recorder.  This is a more direct and simple method than the one above.  Just hook up the VHS player output to the DVD recorder and record.

There are also units that can be used as an interface to your computer to convert the video output to MPEG-2.  This is called an analog to MPEG converter box.

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image99
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 5 years ago

I don't think you can directly download a VHS turned DVD to a computer without special software or equipment.  I've tried that and it doesn't work.  However, there is a gizmo you can buy that will allow you to do it.  You hook it up to the computer and the camcorder and can then download the VHS tape onto the computer.

I have a combination vhs player recorder and dvd player recorder.  You put the tape in the VHS side and a blank disk in the DVD side, press a few buttons and the VHS tape records onto the DVD.  I have found this the easiest way to do the conversion.

4. networmed profile image61
    networmedposted 5 years ago

You will need some hardware and specialized software to do that...

I'll refer you to these references, youtube.com/watch?v=WppfGkNm-WU & signvideo.com/conv-v-to-d.htm

If you can't do that yourself due to the hardware required and you only have to do it once or 3 times... I think it's more practical to let someone do it. I'm sure there are services in your area that offers such type of service.

However, if you do this for lots of VHS tapes, we're talking of more than 10 or even 100s, then...I think it's worth getting such accessories and peripherals and do it yourself.