jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Inventors: how can we improve computers for longer use?

1. Ciel Clark profile image73
    Ciel Clarkposted 5 years ago

Inventors:  how can we improve computers for longer use?

Computers are getting cheaper and cheaper, and more likely to get thrown out quickly.  In our house we get a few new ones regularly.  I am worried about the landfill-- even with recycling it is not a great plan.  Is there anyone out there who can come up with a way to update computers (and all other tech gadgets) so that we can keep the body, but update the core?

2. Jesus was a hippy profile image60
    Jesus was a hippyposted 5 years ago

All computers have a limit as to how much you can upgrade them. Anything you upgrade will have to be thrown out tomake way for the replacement anyway.

3. iefox5 profile image58
    iefox5posted 5 years ago

Do following may improve your computer performances:remove spyware, and help protect your computer from viruses; free up disk space; speed up access to data; detect and repair disk errors; upgrade  to  Windows 7.

4. TrahnTheMan profile image59
    TrahnTheManposted 5 years ago

The problem with making computers (or any rapidly developing technology) last for a long time is that the technology becomes outdated so quickly that it becomes obsolete. The way to overcome this limitation is to allow for a reasonable ability to upgrade. So when I buy a computer I generally get the best version available, as soon as it's released, and then skip a couple of generations before I buy again, meaning I get 3-4 years out of a model. Video cards, RAM and storage are all upgradeable.

5. vinner profile image76
    vinnerposted 5 years ago

It is because the fast growth of technology. I think it will continue to the saturation of the growth of technology

6. Sherry Hewins profile image98
    Sherry Hewinsposted 5 years ago

I never throw mine away, I still use my Dell desktop that's over 10 years old. I installed Ubuntu on it, it browses the internet much more quickly than it did with Windows XP. I have similarly rehabilitated several other computers from family members and passed them on to someone who needed a good, basic, functional computer.

working