jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

How can you make sure users are locking their computer workstations?

1. skear profile image96
    skearposted 5 years ago

How can you make sure users are locking their computer workstations?

What is the best way to ensure that users lock their computer workstations when they are not present?

I'm interested in ideas for both Windows and Linux workstations.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6572089_f260.jpg

2. padmendra profile image46
    padmendraposted 5 years ago

As per my opinion you can opt for a macro sheet which can be modified in such  way that it displays all the names of the employees and their user ID's so that if any person have not locked their system then their name appears in red color.

3. Jeannieinabottle profile image92
    Jeannieinabottleposted 5 years ago

You can simply make this a rule at your place of work.  At my job, we are all supposed to lock the computers before going to lunch or going to a meeting.  Our IT guy kindly reminds us to always lock the computer if he happens to see this is an issue.

A fun way you can make sure everyone is doing this is just to visit computers that are left alone and unlocked.  Poke around on the person's computer and open up their browser.  You can see what they've been up to that day.  When they return to their desk, let them know you wouldn't have done that if they'd just simply locked their computer.  Sure, they might get angry, but hey, it's the company's property and if the computer user wanted people not nosing around on the computer, they should lock it next time.

4. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image60
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years ago

Repeat, repeat, repeat. Make signs for posting at work stations and above computers. Do spot checks and offer bonus points for having computer locked. So many bonus points earns an opportunity to be entered in a raffle and so on. Perhaps points could figure into evaluations for a merit increase in pay. You could approach it the other way around - demerits - but I am a positive reinforcement trainer and believe reward-based training is best!

5. s.wilson profile image71
    s.wilsonposted 5 years ago

Enable the user to set a screensaver with the user password enabled.  Set the time for 2 minutes.  This may be annoying if they are on the phone, but you won't have to worry about people locking their computer.

When people at my office don't lock their computer, I usually find some sort of ninja kitty picture and change the background.

6. arksys profile image90
    arksysposted 5 years ago

set the screensaver on for 5 or 10 minutes ... and check the "on resume, password protect" option.

you could run a script in the background to autolock the system.

7. profile image0
    Marntzuposted 5 years ago

At my old job we used to send out slightly embarrassing messages using their computer to the rest of the office. For example "I'm buying lunch for the office today". Usually most people stopped after one message.

working