For a browser, what is the difference between Add-ons, extensions, plugins and a

1. ahmed.b profile image75
    ahmed.bposted 5 years ago

For a browser, what is the difference between Add-ons, extensions, plugins and applications?

They look like pretty same. Are they just different words for the same thing or is there some thenical differnce between them as well?

2. profile image0
    jlcustompcposted 5 years ago

No real difference except for application

Add-ons - Extension - Plugins are all really interchangeable

An application is separate from those in that it can run by itself, so to speak.

3. keirnanholland profile image60
    keirnanhollandposted 5 years ago

Add-ons are like growths, and Extensions are like cancer.. An Add-on is like a benign tumor that grows on the browser adding stuff to the browser that wasn't there before. Extensions mutate the existing features of the browser into something more useful. Maybe I should call them gene modifications.  Plug-ins and add-ons are sorta synonymous, but when it comes right down to it, we'll call them add-ons..  But if you desire the separation of terminology, which is tougher in the creation stage of technology than it is in the inter-social semantic aspect, then let's say Plug-ins are like body-modification, like that guy who decides he wants to put a horn in the center of his forehead so people will call him pegasus-man. No, I'm being silly.. Plug-ins are usually pre-compiled code that is called by the browser when a file is loaded but the plug-in either utilizes the in-browser GUI or replaces part of the browsers interface to it's own GUI elements. It's up to the plug-in designer to choose whether to blend in with the browser design or go in an entirely different direction. Leaving the user to have to obtain a skin that makes the browser look like the plug-in, though I have no example of this I know its possible and I know I've had plug-ins where the interface elements were wildly different than the Windowing interface and the browser's interface.

Plug-ins are like tape-worms, or leeches, or well you get the picture.

working