jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Does smoking around your computer really damage it?

1. nmdonders profile image83
    nmdondersposted 5 years ago

Does smoking around your computer really damage it?

2. leakeem profile image81
    leakeemposted 5 years ago

If you let the ashes get to the keyboard, it can.

A quick search in google says it can (I got curious too, my instinct says it can but I want to be sure.). An article says it can let tar to build up in sensitive components. It's best to keep the smoke away from the air intake of the cooling system. It also says that cigarette smoke can speed up the corrosion process of metallic parts in the computer. And something about the smoke making surfaces sticky and causing dirt to stick.

I haven't heard yet of anyone destroying a computer with cigarette smoke but i think it's best for heavy smokers to try to smoke a bit farther from the computer

3. edmob1 profile image59
    edmob1posted 5 years ago

I have yet to damage a computer with my bad habit,but then I clean  it like any other article in the room. A quick vacum over the keyboard and vents,and a wipe down and its on the wipe down you see the smoke damage just like anything else in the room.

4. Silwen profile image80
    Silwenposted 5 years ago

Well, in my personal opinion, smoking damages your health much more than computer. So you should not smoke at all. By the way, I am smoker too, but I am trying to quit.

5. kj force profile image71
    kj forceposted 5 years ago

Don't really have an anwser yet...tests are inconclusive at this time, however, my computer is hooked up to oxygen at the moment...and coughing less...nothing is worse than typing for an hour and your computer starts coughing and the words get all jumbled....
    I don't smoke so it must have been second hand smoke from geek who set up my system...don't know what made you ask this question..but I enjoyed it...hope you did also.....