jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

What is private registration of a domain name?

1. nayaz1625 profile image75
    nayaz1625posted 5 years ago

What is private registration of a domain name?

While looking for domain name to buy, I came across something called private registration. It keeps our information private and shows a proxy'name instead.

How far this is important? Does it really help to have private registration? Without private registration are we at risk?

2. Sapper profile image71
    Sapperposted 5 years ago

With public registration, a whois of your domain will show your name, address and phone number you use to register.

Another option is to setup a sole proprietorship business and use that for name and address/phone number, if you have another one to list. If you plan on making a living online, it always a good idea to have a DBA anyways for tax purposes.

Other than that, it's really personal preference as to whether or not you want that listed. The way I look at it is all the information listed isn't that hard to find if you really want it anyways. To me, it's not worth the extra money to "hide" it.

nayaz1625posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Sapper.
      By the way, what is DBA?

2. Sapper profile image71
      Sapperposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Doing business as. In it's simplest form, it's a second legal name. It lets you open a business bank account and makes filing taxes easier when you make money online.

3. Kasio Martin profile image81
    Kasio Martinposted 5 years ago

I have recently discovered that even private registration is not 100% private. If someone really wants the information they will be able to get it. If you do not want to establish a business name or address, at least use a PO Box address or Mailbox store so that you aren't publishing your home address.

Another suggestion I have is to use a catchall type email account and not your personal email. Like admin@domain.com - I did not private register my first domain and my personal email was published and I ended up having to get a new email because I was being spammed so much each day. Good luck!

nayaz1625posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Kasio,
      Make me remember what one friend once tolde me: One you are on the internet, you are in public.

4. profile image51
    rethu45posted 4 years ago

When you register a domain without private registration, you're accurate contact details for yourself or your company on the domain will display in the  whois record. This record will shown as public and can be accessed by anyone.When you register a domain with private registration, you use a Third party service called a ;'Domain by  proxy "service that they will put their contact details on the domain instead of yours. Similarly, they would let you know about any phone calls or emails received regarding your domain.The main purpose of private registration is that your contact details do not show publicly for anyone looking up the whois record for your  domain in the online whois lookup tool like http://www.whoisxy.com .The risk involves in without getting private registration is the hackers will easily hack your ownership details .So try to buy a domain name with private registration./

nayaz1625posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thank you rethu45.
      I'll consider your suggestions for sure when I'll buy a domain name.

working