jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

Has FaceBook taken all the attention away from Hubpages?

1. Debby Bruck profile image72
    Debby Bruckposted 5 years ago

Has FaceBook taken all the attention away from Hubpages?

Most people spend their time on FaceBook. People can upload photos, form like minded groups, create pages of notes like blogs, have the immediacy of interaction, likes, comments, shares and links. Does this detract from Hubpages?

2. Tusitala Tom profile image61
    Tusitala Tomposted 5 years ago

Facebook certainly hasn't taken me away from Hubpages.  Then again, I'm not a into a lot of the social chatter which goes on there.   Certainly I view it, and when I come 'on line' there is as often as not a notice from someone or another.  But the way I see it, Facebook is really for social chit-chat, quick notices as to what one is doing and what's on, that sort of thing.

Hubpages on the other hand calls for serious writing.  Or if not 'serious,' at least something that is readworthy enough for other Hubbers to want to read it.  It's a site for writers and people who want to improve their skills at writing and still see something recorded 'up there on The Web.'

Hubpage management is clever enough to realize that people love accolades and praise and it it does this by providing us with icons for our progress.  Facebook doesn't do that.

Hubpages encourages quality, Facebook, it seems, doesn't care one way or the other.

But why the questions?   Are member statistics of Hubpage numbers dropping?

Debby Bruckposted 5 years agoin reply to this

FB has many facets, communities, groups and subgroups. The people with whom I'm connected study, share and teach medicine. Resourceful and hard to keep up with it all. Fast paced information.

3. justom profile image71
    justomposted 5 years ago

Hahaha! That other Tom is exactly why I like FB better. While there are some good and interesting writers on here there are MANY more mundane hubs that are the same old rehashed drivel. I barely get on this site anymore. Good luck Tom maybe HP will send you a $.35 bonus for speaking so highly of them! Good ? though Debby!!

Interesting how responses can center around finances and income from writing, blogging, & active conversations. Everything I read tells me people are making money on FB using it as a business & marketing vehicle. Making connections, friends,

4. cleaner3 profile image77
    cleaner3posted 5 years ago

yes, facebook is for shallow minded people who have no life. Hubpages gave me a chance to explore my own creativity and it should do the same for other aspiring writers. 
    justom is right about about the same drivel from some people but the majority of talented writers have always come up with different and unique work . The only reason these others go to facebook is that they are not creative enough to come up with good or great work and can only critique the people who do .
    to all the people who are on hubpages remember that you were a newbie on here one time too, so support those newbies who only want a little bit of advice and  knowledge about writing and confidence to keep on writing. 
    To all the newbies don't let anyone of these no talent  facebook writers who can't write more than a paragraph tell you that you aren't a good writer.

1. justom profile image71
      justomposted 5 years agoin reply to this

To be honest FB is a social website and not really meant to be anything more. Personally I use it mostly for my business and am not on it 24/7 like some folks. HP is a good place to write but my gripe is  they don't pay good hubs enough $.

2. Debby Bruck profile image72

HP main focus as a writers forum has developed to also nurture new authors with training programs, contests, challenges and tutorials. Some rise to the top, others don't make the grade in areas from recipes, poetry, fiction, science, crafts & pro