Why does N America need 'dirty' energy or nuclear reactors?

1. Dame Scribe profile image60
    Dame Scribeposted 5 years ago

Why does N America need 'dirty' energy or nuclear reactors?

Curious to know rationale of promoting these sources of energy when we have 'Green' energy that does just as well in providing source of energy.

2. cam8510 profile image95
    cam8510posted 5 years ago

Dame Scribe, I guess I have to take issue with the question, although reluctantly.  I say reluctantly because I really want green energy to work.  We do have some very clean types of energy, and we should be using them wherever and whenever the will work for us.  But I don't think we can say they do as well as fossil fuels and nuclear energy at this point in time.  By "as well" I mean they won't generate the amount of energy that we currently use.  Of course we may simply be using too much energy, so conservation is certainly needed. 

There is one type of nuclear energy which would be exciting as far as I am concerned.  I have two hubs on the subject and they have to do with using helium3 in nuclear fusion.  Helium3 is not radioactive and there would be no radioactive waste.  The viability of the concept has been confirmed at the University of Wisconsin.  There is one problem though.  Helium3 is rare on earth, but plentiful on the moon.  Many countries as well as private companies are making plans to mine helium3 on the moon.  A simple search on the web will confirm this.  I have reservations about mining on the moon, but helium3/nuclear fusion has been referred to as the perfect energy source, so I am open to the idea.

working