jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Question about the internet

1. Austin Enfroy profile image61
    Austin Enfroyposted 4 years ago

Question about the internet

Can anyone tell me if there are any rules for the internet that say that what you publish on the internet has to be factual?  I see a lot of conflicting information out there and I was wondering if anybody knew if it even matters what people put out there even has to be right.  I always publish my hubs to the best of my knowledge and experience, but I see websites out there and I know that what they are saying is wrong, but does anyone do anything about this?

2. DrivingPeace profile image84
    DrivingPeaceposted 4 years ago

No, what you publish on the Internet does NOT have to be factual, any more than what they publish in The National Enquirer has to be factual. It's good that you try and be accurate to the best of your ability in your Hubs, but there's no rule that says you have to be. I guess the penalty for writing a bunch of errant nonsense in your Hubs is that no one will read them.

3. howlermunkey profile image89
    howlermunkeyposted 4 years ago

It is my firm belief that, once something is published on the internet, it becomes true, by power of the electrons in the cat5 cables. Therefore, if you are asking "Does a tree make a sound if noone is around to hear it?", my response is, well, how many backlinks does it have? (backlinks == truth level).

4. Imogen French profile image86
    Imogen Frenchposted 4 years ago

There is plenty of misinformation on the web, and there don't seem to be any laws to govern it. The best you can do as a reader is use your best judgement and where facts are supposedly given look for a reputable reference to verify the information. The same applies when writing - if you want to verify information that you are giving, then use sensible references to add credibility to your article.

working