How Reliable is Snopes?

1. ThompsonPen profile image79
    ThompsonPenposted 4 years ago

How Reliable is Snopes?

www.snopes.com is a website that is often cited when backing up or disproving a rumor floating around on the internet. How reliable is it? I have heard some pretty interesting things come from there which contradicts things I have learned through my college education.

2. jabelufiroz profile image73
    jabelufirozposted 4 years ago

Snopes has been around for quite awhile and is considered a pretty reliable source.

It is run by a retired married couple but I hardly see what that has to do with anything. They do their research, cite their sources, and back up their findings. They have been wrong in the past, and make corrections when necessary. Seems like a lot of effort if they were simply trying to deceive folks.

Most of the rumors and junk that gets blindly reposted over and over again on Facebook are quite old - predating not just Facebook but the entire World Wide Web! The couple grew tired of getting the same junk passed through email and started researching these rumors so they could help spread some truth.

For some reason, they have come under fire recently because they are democrats.

Again, I don't understand what that has to do with anything. It seems there isn't anything people won't turn into a political issue nowadays.

working