jump to last post 1-15 of 15 discussions (15 posts)

Do you all believe Wikipedia?

1. Hui (蕙) profile image81
    Hui (蕙)posted 6 years ago

Do you all believe Wikipedia?

2. Pamela N Red profile image85
    Pamela N Redposted 6 years ago

No. Wikipedia can be changed by anyone. There was a situation a while back where a famous person's information was wrong on Wikipedia and two newspapers printed his obituary wrong.

I also read that Wikipedia was changing information to coincide with statements made by Sarah Palin in an interview which were clearly wrong.

Reputable schools and colleges will not take Wikipedia as reference material and we should all double check anything we read there.

3. Shuting Star profile image60
    Shuting Starposted 6 years ago

No,though it has lots of valuable information but it cannot be considered a reliable source.Anyone can edit its content so one can expect a few errors and misleading facts.

4. profile image0
    ChuckGposted 6 years ago

Wiki is good to get some quick short facts. However, if writing an article, get your facts from websites that end in .org or .edu. Got to websites that specialize in that field. That's your best bet when researching for articles. Wiki is more like a cliff note package of true/false facts.

5. THEHuG5 profile image61
    THEHuG5posted 6 years ago

Wikipedia is good if you're just looking for general info and you don't really care if it's exactly accurate or not. It is a good starting place for research papers because of the sources always listed at the bottom. At least some of those sources are usually reliable.

6. BfoBarney profile image60
    BfoBarneyposted 6 years ago

A tricky topic this is!

I for one have used Wikipedia as a guide, not a source! It is very rare that you find any pages that have been tampered with for some kids amusement. Although I can't stress enough, never tell your teachers or lectures that you used Wikipedia, just don't even mention it's name!

7. samanthamayer profile image71
    samanthamayerposted 6 years ago

I really only use Wikipedia for trivial things. For example, if there's an actor in a movie who I know I've seen before but I can't quite pinpoint where... Those kinds of facts are pretty simple and not so easy to be tampered with. Otherwise, if I'm looking for more meaningful info, I find that Wikipedia can be a little erratic in what it provides and a headache to read. A good Google search often reaps much better results.

8. GoldenBird profile image60
    GoldenBirdposted 6 years ago

Wikipedia is like what a stick is to a blind person. Dogs are better if you want to cross the road.

9. FatFreddysCat profile image97
    FatFreddysCatposted 6 years ago

Wikipedia can have its uses, however it shouldn't be someone's sole research source.

Though honestly, if you read enough articles on Wiki, eventually you will be able to tell which ones have been "edited"/tampered with to include wrong info

10. lburmaster profile image82
    lburmasterposted 6 years ago

Hahahaha! No. Wikipedia is known for letting almost anyone to write on their pages. I can go on there and add a word that does not exist, then I can write about it as if it does exist and write down anything I want to put this word into. I can also go onto other words or people's stories and write anything I desire to. It is not reliable AT ALL.

11. Millionaire Tips profile image93
    Millionaire Tipsposted 6 years ago

I like Wikipedia, but like any source, there is a possibility of incorrect or misleading information.  I try to find  many different sources  so I can properly analyze the facts and make my own decisions about what to believe.

12. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 6 years ago

It's not useless. Wikipedia really just cuts to the bone to give you the "rinsed-down" gist of some topic. Once you get the big picture view to help you understand, you can begin your proper research with multiple sources. I have made corrections on Wikipedia before, but they were relatively minor. But then again, I have read commercially-published secondary source historical non-fiction by reputable businessmen, historians, or even professors from Columbia University or Harvard and found many mistakes where they got many facts wrong, including dates and years of historical events! That's hard to believe, but these guys are clearly not edited thoroughly. Wikipedia is good for peaking your initial interest and giving you a general understanding of a topic to be taken with a grain of salt. Commercial secondary sources are good for giving you multiple perspectives--or in some case, the mainstream perspective on a topic. Periodicals are good for showing what the ordinary people knew or know, while also giving various mainstream perspectives. Professional, scholarly secondary-source publications, which are rarely found in book stores, tend to focus more thoroughly on the particulars of a subject. They are often a bit more factual and scientific than the commercial publications. Finally, you have the primary sources--excluding periodicals. These are the least accessible, yet most interesting of all. The only thing that can be considered 100% accurate on them are the dates.

13. sprobin profile image60
    sprobinposted 6 years ago

Wikipedia, is really good. But i can't believe all of this . because any one can change this.

14. paoloumali profile image60
    paoloumaliposted 6 years ago

I guess Wikipedia is meant to be read not to be believed.

I think it will be wrong to ask 'Do you believe Britannica?'.

Encyclopedia articles are into describing things and not on convincing people. If a listing is wrong, then it can be corrected by the community.

Take for example:

There is a Chief Justice(head of the highest court) in the Philippines who will undergo Impeachment trial in the Philippines this month. Some haters went to his Wikipedia page and replaced his title to  'Thief Justice'.

Well, if you go back, you will see it's corrected.

The good thing about Wiki, it is easy to correct things in a timely fashion.

15. Capedium profile image78
    Capediumposted 6 years ago

Wikipedia can be changed by anyone, I can not argue that fact.
    But we can't deny the fact that it has useful information that we need
    So I guess is Yes and No..
    That's why we are humans we listen, learn and make our own