How does the new Samsung smart phone include a heart rate monitor?

1. Easy Exercise profile image87
    Easy Exerciseposted 3 years ago

How does the new Samsung smart phone include a heart rate monitor?

I know there are apps for everything but now I just saw a Samsung commercial that stated the new phone that will be launched in April will include a heart rate monitor. Is this true? If so, how?

I love my Polar heart rate monitor but hate wearing the band. I am anxious to hear about this new technology and learn how it works.

2. markmorgangenius profile image91
    markmorgangeniusposted 3 years ago

Yes the new Samsung Galaxy S5 has a unique feature of measuring user's heart rate.

How to measure the heart rate using S5?
    Just place your finger on the sensor on the back of the smartphone. You will need to keep your finger still for a few seconds. The sensor will detect and report the heart rate within a few seconds.

How does this technology work?
    Firstly the way S5 measures the heart rate is different from the way the standard heart rate monitors work(they work by recording the electrical activity of heart via skin - the same way an ECG or EKG machine does). On the contrary S5 measures the heart rate via using a light to check the flow of blood under the skin. Depending on the pattern of blood flow (e.g:  peaks & valleys) it measures the heart rate.

Can you rely on this reported heart rate?
    The company claims that the results are fairly accurate for casual usage, As this not the professional method of measuring heart rate so it is not recommended for purposes other than casual usage.

I hope that answers your question.

working