jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Norton or McAfee?

1. Eric Calderwood profile image83
    Eric Calderwoodposted 3 years ago

Norton or McAfee?

Which antivirus program is the best to protect a windows computer with and why?

2. NiaLee profile image59
    NiaLeeposted 3 years ago

I am lost in this one, Norton was OK until they started trying to sell me more coverage for more money and blocked my computer.
    Mc Afee seems to let me be more free of not choosing them, the coverage/protection is good and doesn't require your constant attention if you schedule it ahead of time. Norton used to have me remove viruses manually for 30 minutes to 1 hour before being able to work if I didn't choose an extra protection!!!
    So, Mc Afee I will say. I hope I am helpful. Love and peace to you and all.

3. M. T. Dremer profile image96
    M. T. Dremerposted 3 years ago

Neither. If you're using a windows machine, you should get Microsoft Security Essentials. It's a free download for anyone using a valid version of windows, it catches more threats than its competitors and it is considerably less obtrusive. Just make sure that you uninstall any other antivirus programs on your computer first because two conflicting antivirus programs will slow your machine down to a crawl.

4. nochance profile image91
    nochanceposted 3 years ago

If you have access to the internet I would recommend. Avast. It's totally free and only requires you to register it once a year. They also never push you to upgrade. They give you the option but it's not in your face. Also I've found that the free version does everything I need.

All of my computer nerd friends recommend it and it can be set to run silently in the background.

I can't speak for the two you want to choose between because I've only ever used Avast.

And as always make sure you only ever have one anti-virus installed at a time.

5. JamesWhitaker profile image61
    JamesWhitakerposted 3 years ago

Any of the two can do as long as it is updated as much as possible.

I am using avast. I can say that my PC is more secure to it. Take note to update it. Works well for for almost three years now.

working