jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Does anyone remember "Ask Jeeves" and what it was?

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image97
    Phyllis Doyleposted 2 years ago

Does anyone remember "Ask Jeeves" and what it was?

Thank you.

2. Rock_nj profile image92
    Rock_njposted 2 years ago

Yes, I remember it.  It was basically a search engine that tried to make the experience a little more user friendly by making it appear you were asking a person named Jeeves for an answer.  It spit out the same results as any search engine.

Phyllis Doyleposted 2 years agoin reply to this

That is correct, John. I had forgotten all about it till recently. Thanks for answering.

3. FatFreddysCat profile image100
    FatFreddysCatposted 2 years ago

It was one of the early Internet search engines. Last time I checked it was still in existence as "ask.com," but the "Jeeves" character has been retired.

Hi Keith. I was wondering if it was still existing. I did not know it is now "ask.com". Guess Jeeves couldn't keep up with it. Thanks for answering.

4. janshares profile image99
    jansharesposted 2 years ago

Yes, Phyllis. I just used it yesterday. I still use it when I need a direct answer to a question. But it seems to spit out a bunch sites now like Google, where you still have to click on several to find exactly what you need.

Hi Janis. I could not find any reference to Jeeves yesterday. Keith says it is now existing as ask.com.  So, I use it also without knowing it was the child of Jeeves. Thanks, Jan.

5. Anne Harrison profile image97
    Anne Harrisonposted 2 years ago

The ultimate reference is, of course, to P G Wodehouse's character Jeeves, the ultimate gentleman's gentleman to the ineffectual Bernie Wooster, capable of solving any crisis faced by Wooster and his friends.

Thanks, Anne. I have not heard of the Jeeves you mention. Sounds interesting.

Closed to reply

working