jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)

Why can't we download our own videos straight into a standard hub? I don't want

1. annart profile image88
    annartposted 2 years ago

Why can't we download our own videos straight into a standard hub?  I don't want to use YouTube

I know there are Video hubs but those have the video first and that's that, am I right?  I don't understand why we can't download our own videos the same way as we download photos.  Perhaps someone can enlighten me.  Please remember I'm useless as the techo stuff!

2. billybuc profile image88
    billybucposted 2 years ago

I didn't know we couldn't, and the reason I didn't know is because i've downloaded my videos for three years now. smile  Now all of my videos were first downloaded on YouTube...maybe that's what made mine acceptable.

annartposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I presume that must be the case, bill.  I really don't want mine plastered all over YouTube though.  Thanks for your input.

3. Faceless39 profile image92
    Faceless39posted 2 years ago

They just discontinued the video hubs, to the great chagrin of many I would assume. They must not have paid well, or something. That said, just include YouTube videos, and make sure they're monetized! smile

I didn't know they'd discontinued that; I've never used one.
      Thanks for the info and for answering.

4. lisavollrath profile image97
    lisavollrathposted 2 years ago

You would be uploading videos to a Hub, not downloading. Uploading is sending something from your system to another. Downloading is grabbing something from another system, and saving it to yours.

As for why you can't upload videos directly to HubPages, I suspect it's a resource issue. Hosting videos takes a lot of space and resources. Having just migrated all my self-hosted videos for my online classes to YouTube, using a third party service for video hosting takes the storage, compatibility and bandwidth issues off my site, and off me. Now, I'm using YouTube's space and resources, for free, and can focus my attention on other things, rather than worrying the format I'm using to host my own videos might suddenly become outdated.

Good point, thanks for telling me about the YouTube thing.  Yes, I do know the difference, slip of the tongue!
      I appreciate your answer; it makes sense.

5. douglaslazo profile image60
    douglaslazoposted 2 years ago

Maybe just try to check the format of the video that you are downloading there is some format that accept of the hubs.

Ok, thanks very much for that.  It didn't occur to me to check that side of things, so I'll do so.  You've given me some hope!

6. Faith Reaper profile image87
    Faith Reaperposted 2 years ago

Hmm, Ann, I've always thought one could, but I believe they first must be uploaded to YouTube and then placed on the hub?  I know Shanmarie included a video of her singing on one of her hubs, but she first had to upload it to YouTube.

I know I am always learning something new or either something is always changing here LOL. 

Blessings

working