jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

Lightening/Thunder messed up my TV & Computer Monitor! Help!

1. donotfear profile image93
    donotfearposted 7 years ago

We've been having isolated thunder/lightening storms all day. All of a sudden there's this huge bang, sounded like it was right outside the window.

It set off the toothbrush lights on my grandson's toothbrushes....he has 2 toothbrushes that light up when you tap the bottom. They were flashing away in the toothbrush holder.

I turn on the TV much later...older model, ancient. Looks like it took the color out. I mean, there's green and some color, but it's all uneven.  I go and turn on my computer. Voilah!!  Monitor distorted, color completely obliterated. It's all wavy looking, almost black & white.

I remember one of my kids did this to a color TV back in the 80's by holding a magnet up to the screen. So what's the deal?  Is this the END of my dinosaur TV & computer monitor?  I don't think there is a way to fix it unless somebody out here knows. If it can't be fixed then I guess I'll be having a funeral for 2: my monitor and TV.

1. PrettyPanther profile image80
      PrettyPantherposted 7 years agoin reply to this

My fiance' says that your TV can probably be degaussed and if your monitor has an image, it might be fixable, too.  I had to look up "degauss" and it is a process for decreasing or eliminating an unwanted magnetic field.  When I googled it I saw references to degaussing a monitor, but I didn't click on any of the links.

That's all I know.  smile

donotfearposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for the information!

Wow!!! I followed the simple direction: Simply turn your monitor OFF, then turn ON again. It looks normal again! For some reason, it didn't fix itself when I shut down my whole computer.

Thank you very much, I had never heard of the term "degauss".

1. PrettyPanther profile image80
            PrettyPantherposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome!  I had never heard of it either, until my very knowledgeable man told me about it.  I'm glad it worked for you.  smile

2. girly_girl09 profile image71
    girly_girl09posted 7 years ago

donotfear - you should write a hub on your experience with this. I'm sure it happens more often than you would think!

Good idea....now if I can just figure out how to degauss the ancient TV....I think I'll hafta buy a degausser. Think I'll opt out and take my Mom's TV (she's deceased). It's just sitting in her room collecting dust. I'm sure she won't mind! smile

3. SpanStar profile image61
    SpanStarposted 7 years ago

I strongly recommend this time around purchasing a surge protector outlet strip can help save you some money and headaches.

working