How long do you keep a laptop battery charger plugged in?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (16 posts)
  1. TamCor profile image81
    TamCorposted 13 years ago

We keep hearing different things, so I thought I'd ask here. smile

Can you keep it plugged in all the time, even when the battery is charged, since you're sitting at a desk, and don't need the battery at that time?   

Or is it best to unplug it as soon as it's charged, use it until the battery is low, then plug in again, just long enough to charge up?

I HOPE these questions made sense!!!  lol

1. BlissfulWriter profile image70
      BlissfulWriterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In my last laptop, I had mine plugged in all the time -- even when the battery fully charged.   I know people say that that is bad for the battery.   And it may be true.  Because my battery died after 3 years of me doing that.  But hey batteries are pretty cheap -- considering that it take 3 years before I had to replace one. 

But I actually didn't have to replace the battery, because I needed to get a new laptop anyways

In my new laptop, I'm doing the same thing (plugged in all the time).  I'm just too lazy to plug and unplug it every day.

Ideally, if you are always using it on the desk, just take the battery out completely and have it pluggin in all the time.

2. profile image0
    DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years ago

If laptop batteries are like any of the other rechargeable batteries I've used (cell phones, power tools, misc. electronics) then you want to unplug it when its charged. Perhaps it's just a stupid myth, (or I'm old), but in the owner's manuals I have, it says leaving it plugged in once the charge is complete, can damage the battery.

TamCorposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, that's what someone told us yesterday, that the battery can be damaged...but I couldn't find anything in the manuals to say anything one way or the other!

1. profile image0
        DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would trust the manual before people. If it is damaging, the manual would say so, I think. Unless they are hoping to make you buy a new battery...or laptop...hmmm.  wink

3. Richieb799 profile image74
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

I usually leave mine in constantly because Im constantly using it!!

4. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

Mine sits on the desk turned on 24/7 I have never had a problem. This is my third laptop that has been used as a desk PC

That's another thing there. I use my laptop off and on--it's up in our bedroom, so I can be more comfortable in the evenings, after sitting in a chair at my desktop computer all day, lol.  But I usually unplug it once it's charged up, then use the battery until it's low.

But my husband leaves his laptop on his desk all the time, like you, Earnest.  He turns it on in the morning, and leaves it on all day, even though it doesn't get used much during the day, since he's at work.

That's why we're confused as to which way is best! smile

1. sunforged profile image71
        sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

both your examples are best.

5. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

A rechargeable battery has a lifespan that is effected by how it is cycled

best use involves allowing the battery to get a full charge and then drain - repeat

not allowing a battery to get fully charged before depleting it will limit its full charge potential

most rechargeable batteries are best left charging when not in use as they slowly lose their charge when not charging

although, it does depend on the age and type of your battery - keeping your laptop plugged in is not a problem (ac power), its users who may keep their laptop plugged in at work and then unplug it to use on say a subway ride home (battery power) and then immediately put back on charger at home that will diminish the lifetime of their batteries quickest.

1. profile image0

recharging before it's empty can be bad, Ive heard. Is that true?

1. sunforged profile image71
        sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

its dependent on the type of rechargable battery - they have been getting better over the years.

But general best practice to extend the life and amount of charge a battery will hold (not just laptops but also cameras etc.) would be to allow it to fully deplete and then fully charge it.

That is rarely practical.

Specific to a laptop - the answer would be , keep it plugged in. If you need to use it for battery power allow it to actually use battery power until it is significantly depleted and then plug back in.

and of course check the manual! .. but not all manuals will bother with how to extend your battery life!

1. profile image0

kewl. thanks. technology is so hard sometimes. I feel so old....

Oh, believe me, I can identify with that, lol... big_smile

I'm determined NOT to be one of those who refuses to learn, though, like my grandma was, who wouldn't even learn how to change the time on one of those "new-fangled" digital clocks, Bless her heart! lol

2. TamCor profile image81

Our laptops are new--we just got them, that's why we're so paranoid about this, lol...

We did know, though, not to plug in unless the battery was drained, since one of our sons ruined his battery that way...

6. TamCor profile image81
    TamCorposted 13 years ago

By the way--where are my manners? lol

Thanks everyone--I really appreciate all of your input and advice!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)