jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (13 posts)

Help! I get a weird message when I switch on my computer

1. sid_candid profile image60
    sid_candidposted 6 years ago

When I switch on my computer I get a message:
    "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience."

I get a option to "Send Error Report" and "Don't Send" I have tried clicking on both but the icons on my desktop just disappear for about 10 seconds and then the message keeps coming back. Please help me solve this problem.

1. Sara T profile image60
      Sara Tposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Have you installed anything such as new programs or Windows updates recently? If not, maybe some file just screwed up somewhere. Perhaps the computer was bumped while the hard drive was working and it scratched slightly? Whatever the case, the first thing I think of is System Restore. Go to the Start Menu > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore. (That might not be exactly how it is on your computer, but at least it should get you on the right track.) If it lets you choose from a variety of restore points, choose the most recent one from before the problem began. You should not lose any files you've saved since that point in time, but newly-installed programs will be uninstalled. If that doesn't work, I have some other suggestions to try. That's what I would do first, though.

1. IzzyM profile image88
        IzzyMposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Excellent advice Sarah! Hope Sid can get online to read this.

2. sid_candid profile image60
        sid_candidposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thanks Sara I have got it resolved with your advice. No more annoying message when I start my Computer. Thanks a lot. smile

1. Sara T profile image60
          Sara Tposted 6 years ago in reply to this

glad i could help!

2. sid_candid profile image60
    sid_candidposted 6 years ago

I also get the same message when I try to open Internet explorer. I am working on Firefox. Can anyone help me get this resolved?

3. Aficionada profile image91
    Aficionadaposted 6 years ago

Sid, I truly wish I could help, and I'm sorry no one else has responded yet.  It is so frustrating to have these glitches!

Are you using a different computer now, or have you been able to get through (finally) on the one that has the problem?

Have you run a virus scan recently?

1. sid_candid profile image60
      sid_candidposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I had run a virus scan about a week back. I am using the same computer, just dragged that message box and hid it down. But still need to completely get rid of it. I truly appreciate your concern for my issue Aficonada smile

4. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 6 years ago
  5. Aficionada profile image91
    Aficionadaposted 6 years ago

It might be worthwhile to run another virus scan, since those monsters can sneak in at any time.

I get "problem" messages like that from time to time - not usually when the computer first boots up, though.  Often, in my case, it happens when there are many programs competing - a lot of windows open, with different types of things going on in several different ones.

Is it possible that you have a lot of different programs that are vying for memory during the boot-up process?  Have you loaded any new programs recently that could have altered the usual process?

1. profile image56
      432posted 6 years ago in reply to this

how can you ask for help then hu hu

1. IzzyM profile image88
        IzzyMposted 6 years ago in reply to this

432, go and troll somewhere else.

6. sandeepr profile image59
    sandeeprposted 6 years ago

In Windows Xp Solution:

Go to My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced -> Error Reporting

Select Disable Error Reporting

Click OK - done