A Webmaster Chat: Can this example site stay above water?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (19 posts)
  1. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 12 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/5076255.png

Pretend this is my website ^

I was happy to get in the ballpark of $4-6 per 1000 views, but I shared around 60% of impressions with my site users.

Now with only 250-270k views my piece of the pie is only $500-$600 a day - with a small staff and a large server farm can I recover?

Im thinking that if I cut out a bunch of high traffic hubs(I mean articles) and ones that seem to be mostly about making money or selling stuff that people want that maybe I can make more money.

Everything Ive done seems to be helping me to lose more traffic, what else can I do to lose more traffic and maybe cut my server costs?

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/5076310.png

Am I doing it right?

disclaimer - this is so definitely not my site, just a fun example for chatting and stats are based on estimated data which are often wrong

1. Eric Graudins profile image59
      Eric Graudinsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Your analysis is a bit naive sunforged.
      You obviously know nothing about website flipping.
      I have applied a bit of advanced webmastering, and you'll see that the situation is quite OK.

With website flipping applied to your graph, you can see there's nothing to worry about.
      After a long period of decline, traffic is now increasing dramatically.
      http://theinternetbloke.com/images/flipped.jpg

So don't worry. Everything that is happening with the site now is only improving it.
      And as for server costs, I'll let you into a little secret.
      Many web hosts offer unlimited disk space and unlimited bandwidth for a few dollars a month.

Just shove the site onto one of those hosts, and everything will be fine!

2. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 12 years ago

lol

How much would daily server costs be for a site this size?

1. sunforged profile image71
      sunforgedposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I might own my own server farm and energy costs are quite high, but if I was to rent I would be looking at around $1600/monthly per server and I probably have at least a dozen.

1. profile image0
        EmpressFelicityposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wow - if this, er, purely hypothetical site were renting servers then they wouldn't even be covering their costs once you factored in things like staff costs and office space.

3. SiddSingh profile image60
    SiddSinghposted 12 years ago

I hope you are not ruing rejecting the suitors that were interested in buying your company a few months ago.

4. TerryGl profile image57
    TerryGlposted 12 years ago

Good question Sunforged..

What I would do is go on the Google forums and everywhere else that has some semblance of real people who know what to do and talk about how you cherish your members and will do everything you can to help them.

If that doesn't work, I would start a forum thread and ask how you could cook something slow on the bar b que.

Now if that doesn't work, get your wife to come in and tell everyone how things are going to be. As we know she will be shot down in flames because you have taken your bat and ball and gone home so then throw one or two of the other minions into the mix to say their five cents worth.

When your minions come out looking stupider then anyone else you have ever met you have to dig deep and bring out the big guns.

Now when everyone starts laughing at what twats they all are, you then come in and make some statement that has nothing to do with anything. Something really outlandish that makes you look smart but everyone know's your a tosser.

That works every time. Its a simple formula for success. Because all the crawlers will come out of the woodwork telling you what a good job you have done under such hard times and everyone else, your senior site members leaving in droves, don't know what they are talking about.

5. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 12 years ago

I don't see anybody suggesting hiring cheap temp moderators to help remove any trafficked pages faster, and booting all non-native speakers from the site to reduce international traffic. Should help with server costs quite a bit. big_smile

Oh, and you should certainly mobilize community to hop through the pages and flag any that gets any traffic, for later unpublishing by new moderators. This also has a side effect of turning everybody into a fink, which makes wonders to your community health big_smile

6. Deborah-Diane profile image84
    Deborah-Dianeposted 12 years ago

This is my first venture onto the HubPages forum, but I think what I'm reading is that traffic is way down, and the administrators are not being responsive.  All I can say is that I'm seeing the same comments on other forums of writing sites that rely on Google Adsense.  I think the Panda update hit us all across the board, and I think that we also are not paying enough attention to the fact that our country is NOT recovering from the recession, yet.  Many people just don't have money to spend, so they are ignoring ads out of self-protection.

By the way, this IS the funniest serious of comments about low traffic I have seen anywhere!  I love the approach!

1. Pearldiver profile image66
      Pearldiverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I DON'T THINK that you have Interpreted this thread correctly at all!!  sad

Why are you Making Excuses for the OP's Example?

This has NOTHING TO DO with the recession in the USA or Google!
      My country was destroyed by an earthquake.. what has that got to do with poor management and lack of direction? hmm

Please..... No Excuses, No Tall Stories, or cloaked Defense of Incompetence!

This Is.. As the OP states a fictitious site!
      Eric and Eric jointly answered the problem and has produced a graph that doesn't require much further analysis, graded accolades or standing on our heads to understand the meaning of 'deceptive advertising!' smile

Don't worry... I found out quickly that my first ventures into the forums would have been more appropriate.. If I Had Just Listened.. Instead of Speaking!! big_smile smile

2. profile image0
      Website Examinerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Welcome to HubPages and the forums!

1. Deborah-Diane profile image84
        Deborah-Dianeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for the welcome!  I appreciate it.

7. sunforged profile image71

I came here to flag this ruse of a thread and move it to the religion forum where it belongs rather than the HubPages Knowledge Exchange since it obviously has nothing to do with HubPages, Hubpages isnt declining rapidly, I was just reading the graph wrong.

But, it seems someone has beat me to punch and moved it from HbPages Knowledge Exchange to "# Technology
    # Internet and the Web
    # Web 2.0 and Latest Web Technologies
    # A Webmaster Chat: Can.."

Who could have done that?

I didn't know this fictitious example site was a web 2.0, must be part of that relatedness I could never get a handle on.

So, if I read everyone's suggestions right - I should remove MORE content? - obviously those non-natives have to go, then perhaps I can get some free labor for flagging? People will actually do that?

What Im wondering is what can I offer? I mean, at least in many non-us countries 60% of a few pennies can buy a backrub or something, when I have a big collection of proven professionals and devoted hobbyists ,

.. will they work for maybe gold stars or something?

you know since money is so tight and 60% of pennies is still pennies?

1. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This, err... fictitious site we're talking about obviously thinks of itself as a social (web 2.0) site above everything else.  No?

8. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 12 years ago

Let's go with Eric's graph. I find it much more appealing!

9. profile image0
    cookingdivaposted 12 years ago

Sunforged,

*cough*, I bet we all know this hypothetical site that you are talking about, don't we?

Only time will tell if there is any ray of hope for its users.

10. sunforged profile image71

I recently stumbled upon the an instruction manual that may prove worthwhile in dealing with any upcoming issues

[Vogon Captain] All the planning charts and demolition orders have been on display in your local planning department in Alpha Centauri for 50 of your Earth years, and so you've had plenty of time to lodge any complaints and it's far too late to make a fuss about it now!

(ANGRY SHOUTING)

[Vogon Captain] What do you mean you've never been to Alpha Centauri? Oh, for heaven's sake, mankind! It's only four light years away, you know! I'm sorry, but if you can't be bothered to take an interest in local affairs, that's your own lookout! Energize the demolition beam! God, I don't know! Apathetic bloody planet, I've no sympathy at all!

there are tons of useful goodies in here for management styles, ill be off digging deeper

11. earnestshub profile image82
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

A truly useful source. smile

12. sunforged profile image71

Apparently its Towel Day! so this quote and the discovery of the likely HP Instruction Manual must have been predestined.

Todays relevant quote from the Manual in regards to said fictitious site:

"Slartibartfast:  Best laid plans of mice.
    Arthur: And men.
    Slartibartfast: What?
    Arthur: Best laid plans of mice and men.
    Slartibartfast: Oh. No, I don't think men had much to do with it."

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)