jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (10 posts)

Domain redirect question

1. Just For Fun profile image84
    Just For Funposted 5 years ago

Hi. I have a Baby Croc account with Hostgator but the script of the site I originally created now broke and it doesn't justify me paying the monthly hosting anymore. But I have an additional domain with them though, that redirects to a free site and I want to keep it active.

They just told me I have to switch to a Hatchling plan which is $8.95/month in order to do the redirect. That seems kind of pricey to do a redirect. Is this normal or is there a different way or a different company I can use that doesn't charge a monthly fee? If so, can you recommend a reputable one? Thank you very much.

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Who is the domain registered with?  I'd do what Julester suggests and look into redirecting the domain through them instead.

Just For Funposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks Marisa. I registered through Hostgator as well, through their service called Registryrocket. I went with the advice given here and just requested the close of the hosting account. If they insist on charging me anything monthly I'll transfer the domain to someone else. Thanks again everybody for the help.

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
          Marisa Wrightposted 5 years ago in reply to this

That may not be a good idea!  If you currently have the redirect setup through CPanel (your hosting dashboard), then if you close the hosting account, you'll lose the redirect.

You must set up the redirect on the domain name first.   You should be able to go to your Domain Name Control Panel and set it up.

https://www.registryrocket.com/default. … EFA-ACA0-0

I took your advice and set up the redirect through Registryrocket. It seems to be working so hopefully it'll go smoothly. Thanks Marisa.

2. Julester profile image11
    Julesterposted 5 years ago

I thought a redirect could be done by the registars of your domain name. So you don't have to pay for site hosting - just the domain name. In the UK that is around £10-£30 (depending on the suffix). Should be roughly the same in the US.

Cheers

Thank you for responding. That £10-£30 is per year right?

1. Julester profile image11
        Julesterposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Oh yeah, forgot to put in a time frame! Kinda' makes those figures useless, doesn't it? Yes, that is per year.

3. paradigmsearch profile image84
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

I'm not sure I understand, but...

A. No fees is the norm.

B. Only hosting fees.

C. Never redirect fees. That's a scam.

D. There's more, but my mood for now. big_smile

Hi paradigm, no he didn't say it was a redirect fee, but rather I had to have a hosting package.

working