jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (11 posts)

Hundreds of thousands may lose Internet in July

1. paradigmsearch profile image84
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

This news story is being plastered everywhere. It is legit.

http://news.yahoo.com/hundreds-thousand … nance.html

1. IzzyM profile image88
      IzzyMposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I'd never heard of it, but I went to the site linked and pleased to report that my computer is clean smile

AVG rocks!

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 5 years ago

Read that same article in the San Francisco Chronicle.
    It must be true. I don't use anything microsoft accept
    xp, so I assume I am safe.

3. paradigmsearch profile image84

I consider it a statistical certainty that we've probably got some unsuspecting victims here.

4. paradigmsearch profile image84

Someone remember to bump this critter around the end of June. big_smile

5. ngureco profile image88
    ngurecoposted 5 years ago

It can be a lie? May be FBI want to scan our computers.

1. knolyourself profile image60
      knolyourselfposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I was thinking that, which is why I didn't do their check.

6. paradigmsearch profile image84

Nah, they don't have to do that. They just go to the ISP and say "Homeland Security". The ISP will then immediately roll over and play dead. At which point the government then does whatever it wants. big_smile

7. HarperDavis profile image61
    HarperDavisposted 5 years ago

Oh (big) brother.

But really, if they're able to pinpoint infected computers like this, I think they should likewise inform those users somehow. I wonder what happen at a public place (like a library) should this happen. A bunch of angry people I'm sure, lol.

8. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image93
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 5 years ago

The IT staff in public places such as libraries or government agencies are probably already on this, similarly to the preparations for Y2K.   I think I read a bit about this a while back.  It was in our Austin paper today, too.  So I'm gonna teat all my computers and hope for the best.

9. Jacksmack316 profile image74
    Jacksmack316posted 5 years ago

Real or not this doesn't sound like a very serious threat. From the wording of the article the virus infects the computers on the network not the network itself, and 570,00 is kind of a small number. In addition to this they apparently think they can get rid of the virus, so no real harm. July comes and their servers go offline you don't have internet your infected get a friends help and get another network or computer and get rid of it. The threat was when they filtered through all your web surfing that was taken care of in November so I don't know it seems to be low threat to me.

working