Nikon COOLPIX AW100 - A Waterproof Camera with GPS
Need a Waterproof Camera with GPS?
Camera phones and other digital cameras are great when you're taking shots in dry weather. But what if it's raining or snowing, or you're at the pool or beach where there's a lot of water being splashed around? Then suddenly your handy dandy camera isn't so handy. That's why manufacturers have started making a wide range of waterproof shockproof digital cameras that not only withstand water, but often come with many other cool features, too. The Nikon Coolpix AW100 is one of these cameras. A waterproof camera with GPS, it also can withstand freezing temperatures down to 14 degrees Fahrenheit, is dustproof, and can shoot HD video. Plus, it comes with the great quality that only Nikon offers. If you're in the market for a waterproof camera with GPS, take a look below for information and reviews.
Update: The AW100 has been replaced by the new Nikon Coolpix AW110
(Image of Nikon AW100 by Nikon)
Nikon COOLPIX AW100 - An advanced waterproof digital camera with GPS and much more
Long before underwater digital cameras were available, Nikon was helping photographers take pictures under the sea with their popular 35 mm Nikonos underwater cameras. Nikon stopped manufacturing the Nikonos line in 2001, but these days Nikon's legacy of great waterproof cameras lives on in the Coolpix AW100. Able to go to depths of 33 feet and featuring 16 megapixel resolution and HD video, the AW100 is perfect for snorkeling, scuba diving, or just taking to the local swimming pool.
Reasons to Love the Nikon Coolpix AW100
Not just a waterproof camera with GPS
Being able to take the Nikon Coolpix AW100 in the pool, lake, ocean or a pouring rainstorm is a great reason to love this camera, but the features don't stop there. This rugged Nikon is ready to go with you on your snorkeling, kayaking, sailing, mountain climbing or other outdoor adventures. Take a look at the features that make this a great camera for outdoor shooting.
- 16 megapixel resolution
- Water-proof to 33 feet
- Shockproof if dropped from 5 ft
- Freezeproof down to 14 degrees Fahrenheit
- Built-in GPS and e-Compass functions
- Locations, landmarks and location information (latitude and longitude) can be added to your photos
- Full HD (1080p) movies with stereo sound
- 3-inch monitor
- Five VR image stabilizing features
See the Nikon Coolpix AW100 Video Feature in Action - Underwater HD video from the Red Sea
The Nikon Coolpix AW100 can take still shots and 1080p HD video. Here's some underwater video footage.
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Reviews
Reviewers like this waterproof camera
What the Reviewers are Saying
- This camera does everything Nikon says it will and does them all wonderfully.
- It weighs little enough that you hardly notice it's there.
- Battery life with GPS off seems quite good.
- I am very impressed by the Subject Tracking AF area mode. It follows the subject much better than the 3D tracking on my Nikon D700.
- The camera performed beautifully underwater, good movies and good images. Great color rendition, very accurate using underwater mode.
More Waterproof Digital Cameras with GPS
Several other rugged camera models also offer built-in GPS. Take a look at these.