What to do with an Old Typewriter
Typewriters are about as useful as a dinosaur in modern times, so you think... But, there are some people who are not quite willing, ready or able to give up the old typewriter yet. Myself, I still like the old sound of the clacking keys, but with a modern keyboard (it's so much easier on the fingers).
Typewriters are still being made into art, they have a place in creating music and some are being broken up to become jewellery and sculpture. It's a bit sad to see an old typewriter get broken up into bits, but at least it's not just being sent to the dump in disgrace or melted up to become a new car, eventually.
Of course, there will always be people collecting things and wondering what they are worth, typewriters are not an exception. What is your typewriter worth?
Vintage Silver Typewriter Charm
Just Because Your Typewriter is Old Doesn't Mean It's Dead!
A typewriter isn't so antiquetated that it can't still have some practical use, as a typewriter - a typing machine.
Black Spruce Hound suggests:
- typing invitations and thank-you notes (great for people with less than great handwriting)
- holiday cards and recipes (things you can't easily print from the computer)
- poems and quotes (give them an older and decorative look)
- ransom notes and hate mail.
Other Typewriter Uses
- Ready, Type, Grow! | Poetic Home
- Bookends for Those Who Haven't Totally Converted to the Kindle, Nook or iPad
- Repurposed Typewriter | Poetic Home
- Repurposed Typewriter Lamp
- Keyboard Waffle Iron | GeekAlerts
- TypewriterTrinket Box - Jewelry Box Avenue
- Repurposed Typewriter - JunkMarket Style
- Besserina: How to make a Vintage Typewriter Planter
- Sophia's: How to Make Typewriter Key Jewelry ~ A Tutorial
Typewriter in ASCII Art
USB TypeWriter conversion !
- Antique Typewriter Collector's Web Site
- The Portable Typewriter Web Site
- Typewriter Collecting and Values - About.com
- Morton Typewriter Museum
- Classic Typewriter Page: My Typewriter Collection
- Collecting & Preserving The Typewriter | Inherited Values
- The Virtual Antique Typewriter Museum
- Vintage and Antique Typewriters | Collectors Weekly
- Typewriter Ribbon Tins | Inherited Values